Looking for an easy gluten-free brunch recipe? These gluten-free vegan apple cinnamon scones are perfect! They only require a few ingredients and are so easy to make. Top them with a cinnamon apple cider glaze for a sweet breakfast treat that everyone will love. Serve with warm apple cider or a big mug of coffee for the ultimate brunch.
I just love Fall. I’ve said it a million times on here, and I’ll say it again. If you hadn’t already figured that out, now you know!
Tips and Tricks for Making the Perfect Gluten-Free Vegan Scones
- Use a tart apple, like granny smith, for this recipe. Don’t use a softer apple, like golden delicious, in this recipe.
- Keep your butter cold. Cut the amount of butter you need into cubes and freeze it until it’s solid.
- If you don’t have dairy-free butter, you can also use coconut oil instead. Chill in the freezer so it’s cold and solid and treat exactly as you would the butter. That being said, if you aren’t dairy-free, feel free to use regular butter, too!
- Measure your gluten-free flour by spooning it into your measuring cup and leveling it off with a knife or the side of the spoon. PLEASE do not scoop your measuring cup straight into the bag. The flour will too packed and dense if you do it this way and you’ll use way more flour than you need, meaning you’ll get some very dry scones.
- You can make the scones ahead of time if you plan on entertaining and want to prepare ahead. You can make the dough as directed and freeze it before baking – just thaw and bake when you’re ready. You can also freeze the scones after they’re baked. Allow them to come to room temperature and then place in a freezer safe bag or container and freeze up to one month. I’d recommend icing after thawing and not freezing with the cinnamon glaze.
Other Gluten-Free Apple Recipes You’ll Fall For
- Gluten-Free Vegan Apple Hand Pies
- Brown Sugar Bacon Wrapped Apples
- Apple Guacamole
- Gluten-Free Apple Cinnamon Pancakes
- Gluten-Free Apple Bread
Gluten-Free Vegan Apple Cinnamon Scones Recipe
Scones have never been easier to make with this gluten-free vegan apple cinnamon scones recipe. Simple fall ingredients, like apples and cinnamon, give these scones a delightful autumnal flavor. Drizzle with cinnamon apple cider glaze for a sweet bite.
Gluten-Free Vegan Apple Cinnamon Scones
Scones have never been easier to make with this gluten-free vegan apple cinnamon scones recipe. They only require a few ingredients and are so easy to make. Simple fall ingredients, like apples and cinnamon, give these scones a delightful autumnal flavor.
For the Scones:
- 2 cups gluten-free flour blend
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum if your blend doesn't already contain it
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons dairy-free butter cold and solid, cut into small cubes
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 to 3/4 cups apple cider
- 1 cup granny smith apple cubed
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon apple cider
Preheat oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a food processor, add the gluten-free flour, xanthan gum (if using), baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Pulse to combine.
Then, add in the very cold butter chunks and pulse until the butter is the size of small peas. If you don't have a food processor you can also do this in a bowl with a pastry blender or two knives.
Then, add in the vanilla and apple cider. Start with 1/4 cup of apple cider and keep adding more until the mixture is slightly wet and can be held together into a dough (I ended up using a full 3/4 cup of apple cider but it will depend on your brand of flour).
Stir in 1 cup of chopped granny smith apple.
Pat the dough into a circle (about 8 inch in diameter). Cut it into 8 wedges and place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Mix together 1 teaspoon granulated sugar and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon. Sprinkle over the tops of the scones.
Bake at 375F for 15-17 minutes, until they are a light golden brown.
Remove the scones from the oven and allow to cool before glazing.
Mix together powdered sugar, apple cider and cinnamon in a small bowl until smooth. Add any additional apple cider if needed to thin out the glaze.
Drizzle or spoon the cinnamon glaze over the scones and allow to set completely before serving.