These gluten-free vegan chocolate chip scones are so easy to make, you’ll want to invite friends over for brunch ALL the time. That is, if you don’t mind sharing them. They’re that good!
I have a slight obsession with scones. They just feel so fancy, yet rustic all at the same time. They’re a cinch to whip up, especially using a food processor, and only require a few easy ingredients. Also, have I mentioned how easy they are to make gluten-free and vegan? While I’m not vegan, I do tend to bake vegan due to my dairy and egg intolerances. I’ve shared a few other scone recipes on the blog before, including these gluten-free vegan grapefruit scones and these vegan orange cranberry scones
These gluten-free vegan chocolate chip scones sure do not disappoint. Honestly, I’m not sure how it took me so long to add some chocolate to my favorite scone recipe! Now that I have, it’s going to be tough not to add chocolate to them ALL the time. Plus, any time I have an excuse to eat chocolate for breakfast is fine by me! I really like using Guittard extra dark chocolate chips in this recipe, because they’re gluten-free and dairy-free. A lot of dark chocolates have an almost bitter taste, but I feel like Guittard is just really deep and rich, which I absolutely love. You can use whatever type of chocolate you like, but if you want to keep the recipe dairy-free, look for a chocolate without milk in it.
You’ll love how simple it is to make these gluten-free vegan chocolate chip scones. They’re great for brunch with friends or just for a special treat!
Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Chip Scones
Kick brunch up a notch with these gluten-free vegan chocolate chips cones. Studded with dairy-free chocolate chips and topped with a chocolate drizzle, its a chocolate lovers dream.
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar**
- 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour I like Bob's Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten-Free Baking Flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup butter cold and solid, cut into small cubes (I used Earth Balance vegan butter)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ⅛-1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 1/4 cups dark chocolate chips Guittard is gluten-free and dairy-free
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a food processor, add the sugar, gluten-free flour, baking powder, and salt. Pulse to combine.
- Then, add in the very cold butter chunks and pulse until the butter is the size of small peas. If you don't have a food processor you can also do this in a bowl with a pastry blender or two knives. You just want the butter to remain cold and not melt into the flour mixture.
- Then, add in the vanilla and almond milk. Start with ⅛ cup of almond milk and keep adding more until the mixture is slightly wet and can be held together into a dough (I ended up using almost the full ½ cup of milk but it will depend on your brand of flour).
- Stir in 1 cup of the dark chocolate chips.
- Pat the dough into a circle (about 8 inch in diameter). Cut it into 8 wedges.
- Bake at 400F for 15-17 minutes, until they are a light golden brown.
- Remove the scones from the oven and allow to cool before glazing.
- Melt the remaining 1/4 cup of dark chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl, in 30 second increments, until chocolate is melted.
- Drizzle or spoon the chocolate over the scones and allow to set completely before serving.
**Be sure to use vegan sugars if you would like to make this recipe vegan.