Last Updated on
These vegan cranberry orange scones are fresh, light and PERFECT for brunch this weekend! Gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan, they are easy to make no matter what your dietary restrictions are. Try them with my easy orange glaze to kick them up a notch!
Every season I seem to have a new ingredient obsession. Summer was peach, Fall was apple, and Winter is definitely cranberry. As someone on a low sugar diet, I’m always looking for low sugar fruits to add into my recipes. Cranberries definitely fit the bill. They aren’t very sweet, but instead pretty tart! I also love the color that they give to food! Did you see my cranberry beet smoothie? Because the color was GORGEOUS! It only seemed appropriate to carry my cranberry obsession into January with a vegan orange cranberry scone recipe!
Orange and cranberry go together like peanut butter and jelly. Actually, I hated peanut butter and jelly as a kid, I ate peanut butter and sugar sandwiches instead. (Yup, I’m not kidding). Orange and cranberry go together like gluten-free Oreos and almond milk. Long story short, orange and cranberry pair SO well together. These orange cranberry scones are flavored with orange zest and orange juice for the ULTIMATE orange flavor and then they’re also topped with a light and sweet orange glaze. Every bite comes with a tart and juicy cranberry that is balanced by the orange flavor.
These scones make the perfect brunch or breakfast recipe. They’re easy to whip up and equally as impressive which makes them great for entertaining. Personally, I love how portable they are which make them a great option for a grab and go breakfast in the morning with a banana or (dairy-free) yogurt. I mean what’s not to love about these vegan orange cranberry scones? They’re perfectly moist and delicious with a little vegan butter or even enjoyed plain!
I hope you love these vegan orange cranberry scones as much as I did!
Vegan Cranberry Orange Scones
- 2 cups gluten-free flour blend
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (cold and solid)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp orange zest (zest the orange before juicing it)
- 1/8 cup - 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 2 tbsp orange juice (for the glaze)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, orange zest and sugar in a large bowl.
- Add coconut oil and cut in until it's the size of peas. You can also do this in a food processor.
- Then, add in the vanilla and orange juice. Start with 1/8 cup of orange juice and keep adding more until the mixture combines into a dough.
- Carefully stir in the fresh cranberries.
- Pat the dough into a circle (about 8 inch in diameter). Cut it into 8 wedges.
- Bake at 400F for 12-17 minutes, until they are a light golden brown.
- Make the glaze while the scones are in the oven. Combine the orange juice and powdered sugar in a small bowl and whisk until it resembles a glaze.
- Glaze the scones as soon as they come out of the oven and let cool completely.