Hi there! I’m Megan, and I am a 30-something accountant turned food stylist and gluten-free food blogger. I live in the Chicagoland area with my husband and our dog, Nova.
I started A Dash of Megnut in 2010 while I was a college student, learning how to cook. It was a way to share my favorite recipes with my family and friends. It was a fun hobby as I studied to be an accountant and quickly I became passionate about being in the kitchen.
Little did I know that one diagnosis would change my whole path.
My Gluten-Free Journey
After years of chronic illness and countless doctor trips that left me with no explanation for my sickness, I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in 2013. I was so relieved to finally have an answer to why I was feeling so sick all of the time, but I was also scared. How was I going to navigate this gluten minefield? What was I going to eat?!
At that time, there weren’t many safe options at restaurants for eating gluten-free and grocery store finds were scarce. I had already been blogging about food for a few years, so I knew I could create my own gluten-free recipes and share them here on A Dash of Megnut as a source for myself and for other people going through something similar. Fast forward a decade or so and the gluten-free food industry (and this blog) has come such a long way! Since then, I’ve gone to culinary school, owned a gluten-free cookie subscription box company, and quit my job in accounting to dedicate my time to creating delicious gluten-free recipes.
What you’ll find here
A Dash of Megnut is a place where you can come to find all types of gluten-free recipes, from breakfast to dinner to dessert, perfect for gluten and gluten-free eaters alike. My goal is to make gluten-free recipes easy and accessible and prove that gluten-free doesn’t have to be taste-free.
I am constantly testing, adding, updating, and tweaking new and old recipes here, but if you don’t see what you’re looking for, send me a note and I’ll work to add it to the recipe box. Happy (gluten-free) eating!
10 fun facts about me
- The nickname“Megnut” came from a disastrous, delirious, yet hilarious game of Scattergories with my sisters.
- I have a Masters in accounting and no I will not do your taxes.
- I went to culinary school in my 20’s for night school while working full time.
- I am a sucker for all Hallmark movies.
- My favorite baked good to make is cookies. They’re quick, easy and so satisfying. Plus you can keep dough in the freezer for whenever you have an itch to bake.
- I hate pickles, but I love pickle juice.
- I think ketchup is disgusting. I put BBQ sauce on my grilled cheese and honey on my hot dogs. (Because again.. ketchup is gross.)
- I have a black thumb. I’m currently *trying* to keep 4 plants alive in my house and I’m just thankful fake plants exist.
- If I had to choose one meal for the rest of my life it would be (gluten-free) pizza. Probably with arugula, sausage and a balsamic glaze drizzle on top.
- My footwear of choice is crocs and pillow sandals. I’d describe my style as comfy. Not very stylish, but very comfy always.