Love peanut butter? Then you’ll go crazy for this easy homemade peanut butter frosting! Made with just 6 ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen, you can make this fluffy peanut butter frosting that is perfect for topping so many desserts!
Sweet, creamy peanut butter frosting is perfect for topping on chocolate cupcakes, sandwiching in between cookies, spreading over gluten-free brownies, or decorating a cake! It’s so easy to make with just a few simple ingredients. Plus, it’s naturally gluten-free!
I absolutely adore this peanut butter frosting. It pairs so well with chocolate desserts and makes any chocolate cake taste like a delicious Reese’s flavored cake! Make this recipe for any peanut butter lover and I promise you they’ll LOVE it!
How to Make Peanut Butter Frosting From Scratch
Can you make peanut butter frosting without butter or milk?
Does Peanut Butter Frosting Have to be Refrigerated?
Can You Make Buttercream Ahead of Time?
How Long Does Peanut Butter Frosting Keep?
How Much Frosting Does This Recipe Make?
Can you pipe with this peanut butter buttercream?
Tips for Making Easy Peanut Butter Frosting
Make sure your butter is softened at room temperature. If your butter is too hard, your buttercream will not be smooth and creamy.
Do NOT use natural peanut butter. It’s best to use creamy peanut butter. Both JIF and Skippy will work in this recipe. If you use natural peanut butter, the buttercream will end up too oily.
Use creamy peanut butter instead of chunky peanut butter. Chunky peanut butter will still taste good, but since there are bits of peanuts in it, the frosting will not pipe and spread easily on cake or cupcakes.
Love peanut butter? Try these other gluten-free peanut butter recipes!
- Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Stuffed Dates
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
- Vegan Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate
- Chocolate Chia Jam Peanut Butter Cups
- Peanut Butter Chicken Wings
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Covered Frozen Banana Pops
How to Make Homemade Peanut Butter Frosting
Scratch the store-bought peanut butter frosting from the can, because you can make homemade peanut butter frosting from scratch in under 10 minutes! Using pantry staples, you can frost brownies, cake, cupcakes and cookies with this thick and creamy peanut butter frosting that is naturally gluten-free!
Peanut Butter Frosting
- 1 cup butter softened, see notes to make dairy-free
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk or heavy cream see notes to make dairy-free
- Add the softened butter and peanut butter to a medium size bowl.
- With an electric mixer, cream the butter and peanut butter until smooth.
- Then, stir in the salt and vanilla extract until combined.
- Gradually add in the powdered sugar, mixing in between each addition, until combined.
- Add in milk, one tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached.