My normal breakfast go-to on the weekends is bacon and eggs. I usually just cook some bacon with an over easy egg and call it a day. So sometimes I like to spruce up my bacon and eggs with something a little different. Last night before I went to bed I dreamed up a breakfast casserole containing bacon, onion, peppers and cheddar cheese. I probably should have done the prepping last night, because that’s the great thing about breakfast casseroles, you can! All you have to do is cook your meats and vegetables, mix it together with the hash browns and pour the eggs right over. Then you allow it to sit in the refrigerator overnight and bake it in the morning. Simple! However, in my case, sheer laziness and a few glasses of wine got the best of me and I made it all this morning instead. Even then, it was super quick and easy! I had breakfast on the table in less than an hour. I loved this dish as it was a nice way to change up my normal breakfast routine and the casserole would be perfect to serve a crowd. I personally can’t wait to make some other versions. I’m thinking chorizo and chihuahua cheese, sausage and swiss, steak and cheddar. Ah the possibilities are endless!
Bacon Egg Breakfast Casserole
- 4 cups shredded hash browns (Ore-Ida is gluten-free)
- 6 slices bacon
- 1/2 medium white onion (diced (about 1/2 cup))
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper (diced (about 1 cup))
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese
- In a medium skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp.
- Remove bacon with a slotted spoon.
- Add the onions and bell pepper and sauté in the bacon grease for 5-10 minutes or until soft.
- Remove onion and peppers with a slotted spoon. I
- In a large bowl, combine the hashed browns, bacon, onion and bell pepper and mix until the bacon and vegetables are mixed thoroughly with the hash browns.
- Then, pour the hash browns mixture into a greased 8x8 inch baking dish.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper.
- Pour evenly over the hash brown mixture.
- Then sprinkle cheddar cheese over the top.
- Bake at 350F for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and the middle has set.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.