Gluten Free Bacon Cheddar Scones
If you're looking for a change from a normal sweet scone, try these gluten free bacon cheddar scones. They're so light and flaky!
For the scones:
- 3 cups gluten free flour blend
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 8 tbsp. cold unsalted butter cut into small cubes
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 4 green onions thinly sliced
- 10 slices bacon cooked and chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk plus a little extra if needed
For the egg wash:
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp. water
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper.
- Then, add the butter and mix on low speed until the mixture is crumbly and the butter cubes have become the size of small peas. You want to make sure the butter is cold when you are cutting it into the flour mixture because if it melts, your scone will not be nice and flaky.
- Then, add in the cheddar cheese and mix until incorporated.
- Mix in the green onions, bacon, and buttermilk. Stir by hand.
- If the dough is too dry, add some more buttermilk until the dough can be formed in a ball.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface. Shape the dough into an 8 inch disk.
- Slice into 8 wedges.
- To make the egg wash, combine the egg and water in a small bowl.
- Whisk until combined. Brush each scone wedge with the egg wash.
- Transfer the scones to an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes. The scones should be a light golden brown color.