Don’t you just love when your breakfast tastes like dessert? I know I do. Now, this chocolate strawberry banana baked oatmeal isn’t too chocolatey, but enough to satisfy any chocolate craving that you might have.
My favorite way to eat it is served warm with some chocolate chips and a drizzle honey (or maple syrup if you’re vegan), just to add a little bit more sweetness. It’s also great with a splash of almond milk on top, too!
If you’ve never had baked oatmeal before you should definitely try it. The texture is a bit more cake-like than regular oatmeal! This chocolate baked oatmeal recipe will even change minds of those who claim they don’t like oatmeal.. trust me!
Why I love this chocolate baked oatmeal recipe
This baked oatmeal is perfect for serving for brunch if you’re feeding a crowd, but it’s also great for meal prep! I like to make a big batch of chocolate baked oatmeal on Sundays and then reheat throughout the week for an easy breakfast.
It’s also so filling, but doesn’t make me sleepy – which is key for a great breakfast recipe! It keeps me full until lunch time!
Plus, it tastes like dessert! And who wouldn’t want that? Yes, you can have chocolate for breakfast!
A Dash of Megnut is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this recipe
Ingredients: very ripe bananas, cocoa powder, brown sugar, vanilla extract, baking powder, baking soda, salt, almond milk, gluten-free certified oats, strawberries, and chocolate chips
How to Make Chocolate Baked Oatmeal with Strawberries and Bananas
With minimal preparation time, you can make this simple baked oatmeal with chocolate, strawberries and bananas!
- Mash the bananas.
You want to use very ripe bananas in this recipe so that the bananas mash easily and are sweet. Mash them with a fork really well.
- Add in the cocoa, brown sugar, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Mix until it’s completely combined. It’s okay if there are still some clumps of banana.
- Pour in the almond milk.
- Stir in the gluten-free oats, chocolate chips and sliced strawberries.
Mix until everything is evenly dispersed.
- Pour the oatmeal mixture into a prepared baking dish.
The oatmeal will go almost to do the top of the baking dish, so make sure to use a dish that is not too short.
- Top with additional bananas, strawberries and chocolate chips.
You can skip this step if you’d like but it creates a beautiful presenation and tastes good, too!
- Bake in the oven at 350F for 50-60 minutes.
The baked oatmeal will be firm in the oven. Insert a toothpick into the center to check if it’s done. If it looks like there is still wet batter, continue to bake.
FAQs and Tips for Making Chocolate Strawberry Banana Baked Oatmeal
I like to make this baked oatmeal in a 8×8-inch or 9×9-inch baking dish. A 9-inch pie dish would also work well, too!
As is, this baked oatmeal bakes up pretty tall. If you want a shorter baked oatmeal, you can bake this recipe in a 9×13-inch baking dish and reduce the cook time to 35-40 minutes.
This chocolate baked oatmeal will keep in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 4-6 days. Just reheat in the microwave or overn before serving.
Yes and no. Oats are often cross-contaminated in the field with wheat, so ensure your oats are gluten-free certified (or even better yet, purity protocol) for this baked oatmeal to be gluten-free.
Yes, any kind of plant-based milk will work in this recipe.
You can use cows’ milk in this recipe and use any kind of chocolate chips that you’d like if you do not need to eat dairy-free or vegan.
Round out your brunch with these other gluten-free recipes!
- How to Cook Bacon in the Oven
- Hash Brown Breakfast Egg Cups
- Gluten-Free Vegan Giant Strawberry Pop Tart
- Gluten-Free Blueberry Cream Cheese Muffins
- Blueberry Turkey Breakfast Sausage
Love oatmeal? Try these gluten-free oatmeal recipes!
- Slow Cooker Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bake
- Ginger Pear Oatmeal Smoothie
- Gluten-Free Baked Oatmeal Cups
- Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal
- Blackberry Baked Oatmeal
Chocolate Strawberry Banana Baked Oatmeal
For the Baked Oatmeal:
- 3 large ripe bananas (mashed)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups almond milk
- 2 1/2 cups gluten free certified oats
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (vegan)
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 large banana (sliced)
- 1/2 cup strawberries (sliced)
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips (vegan)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 8×8-inch baking dish and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mash the bananas.
- Combine the mashed bananas with the cocoa powder, brown sugar, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk until combined.
- Then, add in the almond milk and continue whisking until smooth.
- Add in the oats and stir to combine.
- Then, stir in the sliced strawberries and chocolate chips.
- Pour the oat mixture in the prepared baking dish.
- Arrange the remaining banana slices, strawberry slices, and 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips on top of the oatmeal mixture.
- Bake in the oven at 350F for 50-60 minutes, until the oatmeal has set and a toothpick inserted into the baked oatmeal comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
This recipe was originally published on August 6, 2012 and updated on April 11, 2020 with new photos, tips and tricks to help you make this recipe perfectly every time!