Broccoli Cheddar Soup
I realize we are getting in to summer and the last thing some of you want to hear about is soup. But what about those cool summer nights? Wouldn’t you like a nice warm cup of broccoli cheddar soup to sit out on your patio with? I know I would. Broccoli cheddar soup is one of those meals that is just ten times better when served with good bread. I tried to create my own “Panera” experience by buying a really good ciabatta bread to dip in my soup. If you’re looking for a gluten free ciabetta, I highly suggest you check out Bread Srsly! The bread soaks up the thick, cheesy broth wonderfully. It’s such an easy soup to make and the results are so fantastic you feel like you are in Panera itself!
Gluten Free Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 6 tbsp butter (divided)
- 3/4 cup onion (chopped)
- 1 cup carrot (finely diced)
- 4 cups small broccoli florets (cut into small pieces)
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp onion salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 4 tbsp gluten free flour blend
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- pepper to taste
- In a large pot, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook until tender and translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the carrots and cook 2-4 minutes.
- Stir in broccoli, chicken broth, onion salt, and garlic powder.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the remaining butter. Add flour and cook for 1-2 until golden brown, whisking constantly so the flour does not burn.
- Whisk in the milk and cook until the mixture thickens and bubbles, about 5 minutes. The mixture should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Then, add in the cheese. Whisk mixture until the cheese has completely melted. Add cheese mixture to the pot with the broth in it.
- Simmer until soup is warm and broccoli is tender. Add salt and pepper to taste.
I looovvveee Panera. You can probably find me there 3-4 times a week. It’s quite sad now that I think about it. I also made a cream of chicken and rice soup that’s somewhat similar to the one at Panera which is my all-time favorite soup there. I just have yet to post it. Let me know how the soup goes!
Megan, Panera is my favorite restaurant because their soups are so healthy yet somehow some CREAMY. I can never find a good soup can that comes close to Panera, so I am so excited about this recipe and I might even try it tonight!
That is so exciting that you teach dance now! What kind of classes do you take and teach?
Yoga is great! Maybe you can start with some free videos online. Exercise TV has a lot of videos you can watch for free on your computer. I just did the Fitness Yoga Fusion yesterday and it kicked my butt.
Oh, and are you in the My Panera rewards club? I love it!
@Allisoni teach ballet, tap, hip hop and jazz. i personally like contemporary and jazz though. i checked out exercise tv today and did a few videos. it was awesome! i’m going to try the fitness yoga fusion tomorrow, i didn’t feel like a butt kicking today hahah! and of course i have the my panera rewards card! it’s amazing!