Last Updated on
I realize we are getting in to summer and the last thing some of you want to hear about is soup. But what about those cool summer nights? Wouldn’t you like a nice warm cup of broccoli cheddar soup to sit out on your patio with? I know I would. Broccoli cheddar soup is one of those meals that is just ten times better when served with good bread. I tried to create my own “Panera” experience by buying a really good ciabatta bread to dip in my soup. If you’re looking for a gluten free ciabetta, I highly suggest you check out Bread Srsly! The bread soaks up the thick, cheesy broth wonderfully. It’s such an easy soup to make and the results are so fantastic you feel like you are in Panera itself!
Gluten Free Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 6 tbsp butter divided
- 3/4 cup onion chopped
- 1 cup carrot finely diced
- 4 cups small broccoli florets cut into small pieces
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp onion salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 4 tbsp gluten free flour blend
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- pepper to taste
- In a large pot, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook until tender and translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the carrots and cook 2-4 minutes.
- Stir in broccoli, chicken broth, onion salt, and garlic powder.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the remaining butter. Add flour and cook for 1-2 until golden brown, whisking constantly so the flour does not burn.
- Whisk in the milk and cook until the mixture thickens and bubbles, about 5 minutes. The mixture should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Then, add in the cheese. Whisk mixture until the cheese has completely melted. Add cheese mixture to the pot with the broth in it.
- Simmer until soup is warm and broccoli is tender. Add salt and pepper to taste.