Table of Contents
Why this recipe works
This recipe is a great way to eat your green veggies like kale, but doesn’t taste like kale at all! The banana, apple and pineapple make the kale flavor very mellow. Instead, you end up with a lightly sweet and very fresh smoothie.
This recipe is on the table in just about 5 minutes. Just have your bananas and pineapple frozen ahead of time!
Using almond milk makes this recipe naturally gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan!
- Kale: You can use dinosaur kale or curly kale for this recipe. You can also swap the kale with spinach!
- Apple: I like to use granny smith apples for this recipe because they’re crisp and tart.
- Banana: Frozen bananas keep this smoothie thick. If you don’t have frozen bananas, use a regular banana and either decrease the almond milk or increase the ice cubes to keep your green smoothie thick!
- Lime Juice: Freshly squeezed lime juice is best. You can also use lemon juice instead.
- Ginger: I love the bite that fresh ginger gives this smoothie, but you can use ground ginger or omit it if you prefer.
- Almond Milk: I use unsweetened almond milk in this recipe. You can also swap the almond milk with coconut water for a different flavor!
- Ice Cubes: Ice cubes help thicken up the smoothie. Use more or less to reach your desired consistency.
You won’t believe how easy this apple and kale smoothie is to whip up in the morning! Just follow these easy steps:
- Add kale, apple, banana, pineapple, chia seeds, ginger, and lime juice to the blender.
- Pour in unsweetened almond milk and ice.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into two glasses and enjoy!
- If you like a sweeter smoothie, you can add an additional banana to the recipe.
- Use frozen fruit to keep your smoothie cold and thick. Frozen banana and pineapple are used in this recipe!
- If you don’t have frozen banana, use regular banana and either reduce the unsweetened almond milk or increase the amount of ice in the recipe in order to keep the smoothie thick.
- You can make parts of this smoothie ahead by prepping the kale, banana, apple, pineapple, chia seeds and ginger and freezing in a freezer-safe bag. Then dump in the blender when you’re ready to make with lime juice and almond milk! You won’t need ice if you make the smoothie this way!
The apple, pineapple and banana help mask the flavor of the kale in this smoothie leaving a sweet and refreshing taste! You won’t be able to taste much of the kale.
You can use fresh spinach in this recipe instead.
Yes, you can! Use 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger in this recipe for a little zing!
You can use any milk of your choice – whole milk, cashew milk, coconut milk, etc. – in this apple kale smoothie. You can also use greek yogurt or dairy-free yogurt in it’s place as well!
- Sweet and spicy, this Ginger Pear Oatmeal Smoothie is a breakfast favorite – and filling, too!
- The natural deep pink color in this Cranberry Beet Smoothie is so beautiful!
- Top this Easy Green Smoothie Bowl with your favorite toppings for a full breakfast.
- This Vegan Mango Smoothie is sweet, tangy, and SO creamy!
Did you make this recipe?
I’d love to know! Please rate it and leave a comment below. You can also share your pictures and tag @adashofmegnut on Instagram.
Apple Kale Smoothie
- 2 cups kale (packed)
- 1 granny smith apple (cored and quartered)
- 1 banana (frozen)
- 1 cup frozen pineapple
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger (grated or 1/2 tsp ground ginger)
- 5 ice cubes (use more or less to reach your desired consistency)
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- Add kale, apple, banana, pineapple, chia seeds, lime juice, ginger and ice cubes to a high powered blender.
- Add almond milk to the blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into two glasses and serve.
- If you do not have frozen banana, you can use an unfrozen banana. However, you will want to either decrease the amount of almond milk (start with 1 cup) or increase the ice to reach your desired consistency.
- If you like your smoothies sweeter, either add more banana or more pineapple to the smoothie.
- If you want to make ahead, you can freeze everything except the lime juice, ice and almond milk in freezer-safe bags and then dump into the blender when you’re ready to drink. Just add the almond milk and lime juice and blend. You won’t need ice if you make the smoothie this way as the rest of the ingredients will be cold enough.
This recipe was originally published on December 14, 2015 and updated on January 28, 2021 with new photos, tips and tricks to help you make this green smoothie perfectly every time!