I decided 2016 was going to be the year I tried a smoothie bowl.
I know, I know. How in the world have I not tried a smoothie bowl yet when I drink a smoothie EVERY. SINGLE. MORNING. I don’t really have a good answer to that besides the fact that they seemed a bit intimidating to me.
You see smoothie bowls all over Instagram and Pinterest with their perfectly placed toppings and beautiful, bright colors. That’s a lot of pressure to live up to! But it’s 2016, so I decided to go big or go home (just kidding, I was already home) and make a green smoothie bowl that could party with the best of the smoothie bowls on Instagram.
My smoothie bowl requirements were as follows:
- Must be green – because green is always better
- Must not be super duper high in sugar even from fruit to keep my candida at bay
- Must be filling – I’m talking no second breakfast before I get to lunch today
- Must attempt to be aesthetically pleasing
Well check, check, check AND check! Because this smoothie is green (obviously) from a combination of spinach and avocado, is low enough in sugar for me, filled me up all morning, and is pretty darn beautiful if you ask me!
I topped my smoothie bowl with what I had on hand in my pantry, some extra mango, raspberries, almonds, goji berries, unsweetened avocado and chia seeds. I love all the textures that they gave to my smoothie!
The extra toppings really made this smoothie a full meal for me and I actually realized I love eating smoothies with a spoon! Be gone with you straws! At least for today…
If you like this recipe, try a smoothie bowl using my recipes for this cranberry beet smoothie or my favorite apple and kale green smoothie! This Strawberry Avocado Spinach Green Smoothie would also make a great base for a smoothie bowl!
Green Smoothie Bowl
- 1 banana (frozen)
- 1/3 cup mango chunks (1/2 mango)
- 2 cup packed spinach
- 1/4 avocado
- 4-5 ice cubes
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 1/4 cup coconut water (add more if needed)
- 1 scoop plant based protein powder (optional)
- mango chunks
- chia seeds
- unsweetened coconut
- goji berries
- In a blender, combine banana, mango, spinach, coconut water, ice cubes, chia seeds and protein powder. Blend until smooth and thick.
- Distribute into two bowls.
- Top with almonds, goji berries, mango chunks, raspberries, unsweetened coconut and chia seeds.