I always can think of something to bake. Always. However, I often find I have trouble thinking of what to cook. You probably are wondering what I eat everyday then. No, I do not eat baked goods all day long. I usually have one or two of whatever I made and then bring them elsewhere.
My self control is pretty good if I do say so myself. For meals I eat really simple things, like yogurt and a bagel or a salad or a baked potato… nothing I really deem blog worthy. However, this all changed last Friday. I bought a ton of chicken that was on sale and I wanted to use it.
I started looking through my bookmarked recipes and Foodgawker and Tastespotting to figure out what I could make with my chicken. I saw a lot of taco recipes so I was leaning towards then when it hit me… chicken taco lettuce wraps! You see I loovvee lettuce wraps, especially ones from P.F. Changs.
But, I’m a college student so I don’t have the money for that. And I absolutely love tacos, except I find that I buy tortillas and never end up using the rest of them so it’s kind of a waste. That’s when I thought if I combined these two lovely dishes, I’d have an amazing dinner that would be kind of healthy.
So that’s how chicken taco lettuce wraps were born. I just put chicken and cheese in my tacos because that’s all I had on hand. But I think it would be good with chopped onion, sour cream, salsa, guacamole, and tortilla chips for a little added crunch.
Chicken Taco Lettuce Wraps
These chicken taco lettuce wraps make an easy, quick lunch or dinner for the whole family. Top with your favorite toppings, such as guacamole, onion, sour cream and cheddar cheese!
- 3 cups cooked chicken cubed
- 1 packet gluten free taco seasoning
- 3/4 cup water
- 8 count lettuce leaves romaine
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup red onion diced (optional)
- 1/2 cup sour cream optional
- 1/2 cup salsa optional
- 1/2 cup guacamole optional
- Placed cooked chicken in a skillet over medium heat.
- Pour in the taco seasoning and water.
- Bring to a boil and then allow to simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Arrange 6 to 8 lettuce leaves on a platter.
- Spoon chicken into the lettuce bowls.
- Top with cheddar cheese, onion, sour cream, salsa, guacamole and any other toppings of your choice.
- Roll the lettuce to make a wrap.
- If you are not eating this all at one time, store all components separate and assemble just before serving.