I always can think of something to bake. Always. However, I often find I have trouble thinking of what to cook. You probably are wondering what I eat everyday then. No, I do not eat baked goods all day long. I usually have one or two of whatever I made and then bring them elsewhere.
My self control is pretty good if I do say so myself. For meals I eat really simple things, like yogurt and a bagel or a salad or a baked potato… nothing I really deem blog worthy. However, this all changed last Friday. I bought a ton of chicken that was on sale and I wanted to use it.
I started looking through my bookmarked recipes and Foodgawker and Tastespotting to figure out what I could make with my chicken. I saw a lot of taco recipes so I was leaning towards then when it hit me… chicken taco lettuce wraps! You see I loovvee lettuce wraps, especially ones from P.F. Changs.
But, I’m a college student so I don’t have the money for that. And I absolutely love tacos, except I find that I buy tortillas and never end up using the rest of them so it’s kind of a waste. That’s when I thought if I combined these two lovely dishes, I’d have an amazing dinner that would be kind of healthy.
So that’s how chicken taco lettuce wraps were born. I just put chicken and cheese in my tacos because that’s all I had on hand. But I think it would be good with chopped onion, sour cream, salsa, guacamole, and tortilla chips for a little added crunch.
Chicken Taco Lettuce Wraps
- 3 cups cooked chicken cubed
- 1 packet gluten free taco seasoning
- 3/4 cup water
- 8 count lettuce leaves romaine
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup red onion diced (optional)
- 1/2 cup sour cream optional
- 1/2 cup salsa optional
- 1/2 cup guacamole optional
- Placed cooked chicken in a skillet over medium heat.
- Pour in the taco seasoning and water.
- Bring to a boil and then allow to simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Arrange 6 to 8 lettuce leaves on a platter.
- Spoon chicken into the lettuce bowls.
- Top with cheddar cheese, onion, sour cream, salsa, guacamole and any other toppings of your choice.
- Roll the lettuce to make a wrap.
- If you are not eating this all at one time, store all components separate and assemble just before serving.