If you're looking for a great gluten-free appetizer recipe to bring along to the super bowl, potlucks, parties or just a lazy Sunday on the couch, this gluten-free chili cheese dip is just what you need. Ready in under 45 minutes, it's creamy, cheesy, meaty, and full of flavor.
If you’re looking for a great gluten-free appetizer recipe to bring along to the super bowl, potlucks, parties or just a lazy Sunday on the couch, this gluten-free chili cheese dip is just what you need.
It’s ready in under 45 minutes and oh so good! It’s creamy, cheesy, meaty, and full of flavor.
You can even use leftover chili to create this easy chili dip! Serve with gluten-free tortilla chips or even some fresh vegetables for an appetizer that guests will love. It’s so simple, yet so tasty!
Why I love this easy chili cheese dip
My family has been making a form of this easy chili cream cheese dip for as long as I can remember. Now that I have celiac disease and I’m on a gluten-free diet, I love making this homemade gluten-free version.
While it does require a few more steps than the original that my mom would make, but it’s still so easy to do and so worth the extra steps!
What’s in Chili Cheese Dip?
Typically, you’ll find cream cheese, a meat or vegetarian chili, and shredded cheese to make chili cheese dip.
Sometimes the cream cheese will be mixed in with the chili layer, but in my version we have 3 distinct layers:
Cream cheese on the bottom
Gluten-free turkey chili in the middle
Melty shredded cheddar cheese on top
I love having the three separate layers because the cream cheese on the bottom gives a nice contrast to the meaty chili in the middle.
Do I have to Make my own chili?
You can use homemade chili or canned chili for this chili dip recipe. Personally, I like to make my own chili and this recipe is also great for using up leftover homemade chili that I already have on hand.
It only takes an extra 15-20 minutes to make your own chili for this chili cream cheese dip. I like being able to tweak the chili depending on my tastes and mood – making it sweeter or spicier or using up whatever leftover ingredients I have on hand.
While I highly suggest making your own chili for this dip, I do understand the ease of using canned chili for a dip like this. If you do decide to use canned chili, read all of the ingredients to make sure that it is gluten-free!
Is Canned Chili Gluten-Free?
There are some canned chili products that are gluten-free, but it is sometimes difficult to find them at your local grocery store.
I am often unable to find a gluten-free canned chili so I opt to make my own. I like to know what ingredients are going into my chili and I can tweak it any which way I like.
When I do find gluten-free canned chili at the grocery, it tends to have beans in it. Personally, I’m not a fan of beans in my chili cheese dip.
I most often make a turkey chili because it’s leaner and you can’t taste much of a difference in this chili cheese dip. Plus, we purchase ground turkey in bulk which is cost effective. The changes of finding a canned gluten-free turkey chili in the store is very slim.
What Kind of Baking Dish Do I need for this gluten-free cheese dip?
I tend to use a 9-inch quiche dish for this recipe because it is the perfect diameter and height. It also looks beautiful so I can easily prepare this appetizer and bring it along to a party.
You can also use a pie dish, round cake pan, or 8-inch square baking dish.
Can this Chili Dip be Made Ahead?
Yes! You can cook the chili up to two days ahead of time. I actually like the flavor of the chili on the 2nd day better than the first.
You can also layer the cream cheese, chili and shredded cheddar cheese up to one day ahead of time.
Just cover the dish and place in the refrigerator until ready to heat in the oven.
More Gluten-Free Chili Recipes You’ll Love
- Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Turkey Chili
- Quick and Easy Beef Chili
- Chicken Quinoa Chili
- Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
- Pumpkin Apple Cider Turkey Chili
Looking for Dips and Salsa Recipes? Try these!
- It’s so easy to make your own Homemade Mango Salsa! Just 5 minutes and a few simple ingredients!
- This easy Corn and Cotija Guacamole makes the perfect party appetizer!
- This Pineapple Salsa is so bright and fresh, and is served in a pineapple boat!
- If you’re looking for a tasty, creamy dip that’s great for entertaining, this Avocado Bean Dip is for you!
- This Buffalo Cauliflower Dip recipe is so cheesy and savory! A vegetarian take on classic buffalo dip!
Gluten-Free Chili Cheese Dip
If you're looking for a great gluten-free appetizer recipe to bring along to the super bowl, potlucks, parties or just a lazy Sunday on the couch, this gluten-free chili cheese dip is just what you need. Ready in under 45 minutes, it's creamy, cheesy, meaty, and full of flavor.Print Pin Rate
Servings: 12 servings
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion (finely diced (1 cup diced))
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp paprika
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup green onion (chopped)
- Head olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Then, add the onions and cook for 5 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add in the ground turkey and cook until no longer pink, 6-8 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste, water, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt and paprika. Stir to combine.
- Let simmer for 8-10 minutes to let the flavors meld.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Spread the softened cream cheese on the bottom of a 8x8-inch baking pan or 8-inch pie dish.
- Pour the chili on top of the cream cheese layer.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350F for 12-15 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with chopped green onion and serve with tortilla chips.