Chili: A spicy stew containing meat, chili peppers or chili powder, often with beans and tomatoes.
That’s the basic definition of chili. But you and I both know we see sooo many variations of chili these days, it’s almost hard to keep up. Pumpkin Chili, White Chicken Chili, Vegetarian Quinoa Chili.. and the list goes on! Most cooks have a chili recipe that is their go-to and honestly they couldn’t be more different than the next person’s recipe. Some people like more spice, some like beans, others hate them, etc. And everyone claims that theirs is the absolute greatest chili that you will ever have. But you know, I almost feel as though a person’s chili recipe is personal. It truly is all personal preference. Which means you really can’t go wrong!
And that’s what I love about chili. Depending on how I’m feeling that day, I can make a chili that suits my tastes and cravings. Chili recipes vary so much and are getting so creative, you could have a different chili recipe each day of the year and never feel like you’re eaten the same ole thing day after day. I don’t think you could say that about most foods!
For this recipe, I wanted to give you a basic, no-frills chili. Simple ingredients that you can find in your kitchen already; Nothing too fancy. There’s a time and a place for fancy chili, believe me. But, today just didn’t feel like one of them.
This basic chili is everything that I needed. It’s warm and filling, has a kick of spice and is just full of flavor. It’s ready in under an hour, which is great for a quick weeknight meal. Add a little green onion and diced avocado on top and you are in for an easy and delicious dinner!
Other Comforting Gluten-Free Chili and Stew Recipes
Is there anything more comforting than a big bowl of chili or stew? From soups to stews to chilis, big bowls of comforting food are perfect for fall and winter!
My slow cooker turkey chili is such an easy recipe for meal prep or a get together with friends. I love to top it with guacamole and green onion.
If stews are more your thing, try out these peruvian beef stew for a flavorful meal! It even uses gluten-free beer in the recipe!
Soups are a must have during the cold months. My Cabbage Roll Soup is tasty and way easier to make than typical cabbage rolls!
Quick and Easy Beef Chili Recipe
Quick and Easy Beef Chili
- 1 1/2 cups yellow or white onion diced (about 1 large onion)
- 1 cup green bell pepper diced (about 1 bell pepper0
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 16 oz tomato sauce
- 15 oz (1 can) black beans
- 15 oz (1 can) kidney beans
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 cup water
- In a large pot over medium high heat, add the oil to the pan. Cook the onions and bell peppers for 5-7 minutes, until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute, stirring often to not burn the garlic.
- Add the ground beef and cook until the beef crumbles and no pink remains.
- Add the tomato sauce, beans, spices and water. Stir to combine.
- Cover with a lid and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve with diced avocado and green onion.