As the holidays quickly approach, I’m always ready with an arsenal of recipes perfect for bringing along to the next party. Guacamole is definitely a party favorite, and this corn and cotija version does not disappoint!
Corn and cotija are such a great addition to your typical guacamole. This version is inspired by elotes, which is a Mexican street food where corn on the cob is smothered in mayonnaise, butter, cotija cheese, lime juice, cilantro, and smoked paprika or chili powder.
I thought it would be a fun idea to swap out the mayo and butter for some creamy avocado to make some elotes-inspired guacamole!
This Corn and Cotija Guacamole recipe could not be easier to make. All you need is 5 minutes and a few simple ingredients to make this epic appetizer. Just open a can of golden sweet whole kernel corn, drain the water and mix the corn in with the rest of the ingredients. It’s that easy!
I love dipping some gluten-free tortilla chips, air fryer tostones or veggies like sliced bell pepper or snap peas into the guacamole for a simple and healthy take on an appetizer.
If you haven’t used cotija cheese before, you’re in for a treat. It’s a crumbly cheese made from cow’s milk. You can typically find it in most grocery stores by other cheeses (feta, goat cheese, etc.). However, queso fresco makes a great substitution, too!
Next time you have a holiday party to head to, bring along this Corn and Cotija Guacamole. It’s so simple to throw together, and it is sure to be a favorite at the appetizer table.
I know, I know. I hear you. You’re thinking “My guacamole always turns brown before the party starts!” Don’t you worry. I have the BEST hack to keep that guacamole green, which means you can prep ahead!
How to Keep Guacamole Green
If you’ve ever wondered how to keep your guacamole green, I have you covered. You’re going to want to take some notes because this tip is the real deal.
Prepare your guacamole all the way before adding the corn, cotija cheese and paprika toppings. Place the guacamole in an airtight container or a large bowl and flatten into a smooth layer with the back of a spoon.
Pour water over the guacamole until it’s completely covered. Cover with an airtight lid. When you’re ready to serve, pour off the water from the guacamole. Stir the guacamole to loosen it up a bit. Then top with the cotija, corn and paprika for a beautiful (and tasty!) presentation.
The water acts like a seal and doesn’t let oxygen in to brown the avocados. I use this hack EVERY time I make guacamole, and it hasn’t failed me yet! It’s also great if you have any leftovers.
More Gluten-Free Corn Recipes You’ll Enjoy
- Roasted Corn and Bacon Red Potato Salad
- Blackened Cod with Avocado Corn Salsa
- Gluten-Free Vegan Corn Jalapeño Fritters
- Cherry Tomato Corn Salsa
- Baked Corn Fritters
- Beef and Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers
Corn and Cotija Guacamole Recipe
Holiday entertaining doesn’t have to be stressful. Try this corn and cotija guacamole recipe that makes such a great appetizer to bring along to every party.
Corn and Cotija Guacamole
- 3 ripe avocados (mashed)
- 1/2 cup canned Sweet Whole Kernel Corn
- 1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (from 2 limes)
- 1/2 cup red onion (diced, from 1/4 red onion)
- 1/4 cup cotija cheese (crumbled)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup canned Sweet Whole Kernel Corn
- 1/4 cup cotija cheese (crumbled)
- pinch of smoked paprika
- In a large bowl, mash avocados with a fork until smooth.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of Del Monte® Golden Sweet Whole Kernel Corn, chopped cilantro, lime juice, chopped red onion, cotija cheese, garlic, paprika and sea salt until well combined.
- Top guacamole with an additional 1/4 cup of Del Monte® Golden Sweet Whole Kernel Corn, crumbled cotija cheese and a pinch of smoked paprika.
- Serve with tortilla chips or vegetables, such as sliced bell peppers, cucumbers or snap peas.