Last Updated on
These beef and quinoa stuffed bell peppers are a great dinner recipe that is naturally gluten free and dairy free. Top with avocado and fresh cilantro to serve. Colorful bell peppers make this dish visually stunning and so delicious, too!
Note: This recipe was originally posted on September 18, 2015 and updated on May 26, 2019 with new photos and more tips and tricks to make this recipe turn out perfectly every time!
I’m really not sure how it took me this long to make stuffed bell peppers. I had originally started creating this beef and quinoa stuffed bell pepper recipe a few years back and remember being like “Okay these are alright, but they probably need more tweaking” and then I filed the recipe in my “drafts” folder for more testing. It wasn’t until a few weeks ago when I was cleaning up all of my drafts to see what I had started and never finished when I saw the original beef and quinoa stuffed bell peppers recipe just sitting there. Half finished and lonely. Looking for a little love and revival.
So here we are! A new, improved and tested beef and quinoa stuffed bell peppers recipe!
These stuffed bell peppers are great for a weeknight meal or for serving company. I personally love to make them on Sunday nights and eat the leftovers for lunches over the next day or so, since it’s just the two of us here.
These stuffed bell peppers are seriously so flavorful! It only takes a few ingredients too! Full of hearty beef, quinoa, beans, and vegetables, these peppers make an incredibly filling and satisfying dinner.
Are Stuffed Peppers Gluten Free?
How to Make Stuffed Bell Peppers
Not Dairy Free? Top these taco stuffed peppers with cheese!
Does it matter what color peppers I use for stuffed bell peppers?
Can I use ground turkey instead of beef?
Can I use rice instead of quinoa to stuff bell peppers?
Looking for more gluten free beef recipes? Try these!
- Easy Ground Beef Tacos
- Sloppy Joe Lettuce Wraps
- Whole30 Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- Quick and Easy Beef Chili
- Beef Taco Potato Croquettes
Beef and Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 4 bell peppers (of any color, cut in half with seeds and ribs removed)
- 1/4 cup uncooked quinoa (rinsed and drained)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (make sure it is gluten-free if need be)
- 1 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 1/2 large yellow onion (diced (about 1 cup))
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 15 oz black beans (canned, rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup corn (canned, frozen or fresh)
- 1 cup salsa (use your favorite gluten free brand or homemade)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 avocado (sliced (for serving))
For the Quinoa:
- In a medium pot, combine quinoa and chicken stock. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, cover pot with a lid and reduce heat to low.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes, until quinoa is fluffy and has absorbed chicken stock. Remove from heat, fluff quinoa with a fork and set aside.
For the Beef Mixture:
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium. Add diced onions and cook for 5 minutes or so, until onion is translucent.
- Add garlic and cook for an additional minute, stirring to ensure garlic does not burn.
- Add beef to the skillet and cook 8-10 minutes, until beef is cooked through, stirring occasionally.
- Add spices and stir to combine.
- Turn off heat. Add beans, salsa, corn, and quinoa and mix until combined.
For the Peppers:
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Lay out bell pepper halves in a casserole dish.
- Spoon beef quinoa mixture equally into the bell peppers. Cover casserole dish with foil.
- Bake at 350F for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes, until the peppers are soft and the topping is lightly browned.
- Top with avocados to serve.