I’m really not sure how it took me this long to make stuffed bell peppers. I had originally started creating this beef and quinoa stuffed bell pepper recipe a few years back and remember being like “Okay these are alright, but they probably need more tweaking” and then I filed the recipe in my “drafts” folder for more testing. And then, about a year ago, I remember Michael asking me a few times if we could make stuffed bell peppers. I said yes, of course, and put it on my ever growing list of food and recipe inspiration (aka about 10 post it notes stuck to the front page of my planner). But it wasn’t until a few weeks ago when I was cleaning up all of my drafts to see what I had started and never finished when I saw the original beef and quinoa stuffed bell peppers recipe just sitting there. Half finished and lonely. Looking for a little love and revival.
And boy am I glad I found that recipe! Michael declared them the best dinner I’ve made in awhile! He then proceeded to ask me why I possibly waited so long to make these for him ha! He had a point. These stuffed bell peppers are seriously so flavorful! It only takes a few ingredients too! Full of hearty beef, quinoa, beans, and vegetables, these peppers make an incredibly filling and satisfying dinner. They are gluten-free and dairy-free as written, but if you wanted to add cheese you could! Although, I found that the chicken stock in this recipe makes the filling uber creamy and I didn’t find the addition of cheese necessary. I topped my bell peppers with sliced avocado and it really made this meal perfect. I couldn’t stop eating the filling before I stuffed the peppers – I called it recipe control – You know, to make sure the filling was just right! We actually had enough filling for 10 pepper halves, but ended up just filling 8 and keeping the extra stuffing for ourselves to eat.
Beef and Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers
These beef and quinoa stuffed bell peppers are so easy and flavorful you'll want to make them all of the time! Gluten-free with a dairy-free option.
- 5 bell peppers cut in half with seeds and ribs removed
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa rinsed and drained
- 2 cups chicken broth make sure it is gluten-free if need be
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 1/2 large yellow onion diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 15 oz black beans canned, rinsed and drained
- 16 oz jar of your favorite salsa
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 avocado to serve
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a medium pot, combine quinoa and chicken stock. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover pot with a lid and reduce heat to low. Cook for 15-20 minutes, until quinoa is fluffy and has absorbed chicken stock. Remove from heat, fluff quinoa with a fork and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium. Add diced onions and cook for 5 minutes or so, until onion is translucent. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute, stirring to ensure garlic does not burn.
- Add beef to the skillet and cook 8-10 minutes, until beef is cooked through, stirring occasionally. Add spices and stir to combine.
- Turn off heat. Add beans, salsa and quinoa and mix until combined.
- Lay out bell pepper halves in a casserole dish. Spoon mixture into the bell peppers. Cover casserole dish with foil. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes, until the peppers are soft and the topping is lightly browned.
- Top with avocados to serve.