This cucumber tomato avocado salad is a simple and refreshing gluten-free side dish that is great for weeknight meals and entertaining, too. A potluck staple in our house during the summer, it pairs so well with all types of protein – from seafood to meat to vegetarian and vegan options. The tomatoes, cucumbers, and avocado have great texture and flavor and are coated in a lemon dressing and topped with flavorful chives.
Ah, my love affair with avocados continues. Sigh. I really just can’t get over how creamy and delicious they are. And did I mention their versatility? Not only are they great for my favorite taco recipe, but also as a topping for salmon, and now this cucumber tomato avocado salad, too! Don’t even get me started on how amazing it is as an ice cream. You have to taste it to believe it.
If you like avocados even half as much as I do, this one’s for you! Warm weather makes me want cold, refreshing salads. This salad is no exception. The cool cucumber gives this salad a crunchy texture with a crisp, refreshing taste. And I don’t know if I’ve just been getting great tomatoes recently, but my tomatoes were so sweet, they tasted like candy. The three main flavors in this party are brought together so well with an easy olive oil and lemon dressing.
I can’t even truly explain how good this cucumber tomato avocado salad is, it’s that delicious! The avocado, while it stays in tact in the salad, also becomes part of the dressing made from the fresh lemon juice and olive oil, resulting in a creamy and flavorful sauce. The fresh chives add a delicate onion flavor, which just makes you want to keep coming back for more!
I really just love how simple this cucumber tomato avocado salad is to throw together. Just eight ingredients, including salt and pepper, is all it takes to make this healthy gluten-free side dish. This recipe is a go-to in my house during the warmer months because of its relative ease – just dice and mix together. It’s as simple as that. It also tastes great with my roasted chicken thighs, which is another popular recipe in my house during the summer! It would be perfect to bring to summer gatherings, for an easy week night side, and for Mother’s Day Brunch!
Tips and Tricks for Cucumber Tomato Avocado Salad
- This is a great recipe to make for a potluck. If you plan on making it ahead of time, I would suggest not adding the avocados until just before serving. The lemon juice helps to keep the avocados from browning right away, but it’s best if the avocados are not added more than a day in advance.
- Fresh herbs are best in this recipe. If you don’t like chives, try using fresh chopped dill, parsley or cilantro. Dried herbs will not give the salad the same fresh flavor. If you don’t have access to fresh herbs, omit them from the recipe and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- I love using grape tomatoes for their texture and aesthetics. Other tomatoes work well, too. Use whatever you have.
- This recipe calls for olive oil. Avocado oil also works beautifully here.
You May Also Like…
- Gluten-Free Vegan Tomato Basil Galette
- Cherry Tomato Corn Salsa
- Summer Tomato Salad
- Heirloom Tomato Salad
Cucumber Tomato Avocado Salad Recipe
This cucumber tomato salad is made with just a few ingredients to create a beautiful, fresh summer side. It’s ready in under 10 minutes, making it an ideal potluck dish to share with friends and family. This recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan, too.
Cucumber Tomato Avocado Salad
- 1 medium cucumber (cubed (2 cups))
- 1 large avocado (cubed)
- 2 cups grape tomatoes (halved)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (juice of 1 large lemon)
- 1 tbsp fresh chives (chopped)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and chives and whisk together. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cucumber, avocado, and tomato.
- Pour dressing over the salad mixture and gently mix until the salad is covered completely.
- Serve immediately.
**This post was originally shared on May 8, 2015 and updated with new photographs on April 29, 2018. It’s one of our favorite recipes so we thought new photos were due! Enjoy!