These gluten-free vegan sweet potato cornbread muffins are perfect for dipping in a bowl of warm and hearty chili or topping with maple syrup and dairy-free butter!
I’m on a sweet potato kick lately. Okay, not just lately. But always.
As soon as the weather gets a little colder, sweet potatoes are abundant in my house! Last week, I shared with you my sweet potato toast how-to which was ohhh so good! This week I’m whipping up a batch of my favorite gluten-free vegan sweet potato cornbread muffins. Some of my other sweet potato recipes include these baked sweet potato wedges with vegan parlsey pesto, sweet potato apple and sausage breakfast hash and these sweet potato black bean quinoa burgers. There is just something so satisfying and homey when you eat sweet potatoes in the cooler months. Slightly sweet, a little earthy, always filling. What more could you want?
So when I set out to create a gluten-free and vegan cornbread recipe I knew sweet potato was going to be the star of this chili side. Most times when I’m incorporating sweet potatoes into a dish, I tend to go the sweet route with warm flavors such as cinnamon, nutmeg and maple. For this recipe, I wanted to go a little more savory with some fresh thyme. If thyme isn’t your thing or you don’t have any fresh herbs on hand, you can omit them or even substitute with 1 tsp of cinnamon for a different flavor. Either way you’ll have some fluffy cornbread muffins that you’ll love all season long!
It only took me two tries (I love when that happens!) to get these sweet potato thyme cornbread muffins absolutely perfect. My first try was pretty good, but it wasn’t great enough to make its way onto the blog. But my second run.. absolutely perfect! Just the right amount of cornmeal to flour ratio and so fluffy (especially considering they’re vegan and gluten-free!). I loved slopping up my turkey chili with these cornbread muffins each day! They’re great plain and just warmed up a little – or you can slather with non-dairy butter and a drizzle of maple syrup for an extra treat!
- 1½ cups yellow corn meal (gluten-free)
- ½ cup all purpose GF flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme (can omit or substitute with cinnamon for a sweeter version)
- ½ cup sweet potato puree (see notes for how to make)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp flax + ¼ cup warm water - mix and let sit for 5 minutes)
- 1½ cups almond milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400F. Grease muffin tin or line with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together corn meal, gluten-free flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and fresh thyme. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together sweet potato puree, maple syrup, flax eggs, almond milk, apple cider vinegar and vegetable oil until combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Pour batter into 12 muffin cups (or use an ice cream scoop for even distribution). Bake at 400F for 16-18 minutes until the center of the muffins are no longer raw, the muffins are fluffy and lightly golden on top.