I’ve been all about the colorful meals lately. The more colors in the rainbow that I can fit in each meal, the better! There’s just something about eating colorful, pretty food that just makes me feel like dancing (No joke, there’s a food happy dance involved). The number of times I have made people look at a purple sweet potato and exclaim “Look how pretty it is!” is almost alarming. Note: I would like to take this time to thank my boyfriend, family, and friends for still talking to me after said purple sweet potato instances.
Have you ever noticed how fast food is all kind of brown looking? It’s almost sad to look at. But this meal, oh it’s full of colors and goodness! What more could you ask for? My favorite way to “eat the rainbow” is to chop up a bunch of vegetables and toss with some coconut oil and then roast in the oven for 45 minutes. The combinations are endless! To get you started on your veggie roasting party, I have a recipe for my favorite combination of roasted vegetables and italian sausage for you! It’s so good that I’ve made at least 5 times in the last month alone. Seriously, it’s that good!
Roasted Vegetables and Sausage
Eat with your eyes with this rainbow roasted vegetables and sausage recipe. A one sheet pan meal, it doesn't get much easier than this! Gluten-free and dairy-free.
- 1/2 lb rutabaga 1 cup diced
- 1 cup red bell pepper sliced (from 1 bell pepper)
- 2 cups yellow or white onion sliced (about 1 onion)
- 1 1/2 cups brussels sprouts about 1/4 to 1/2 lb
- 2 cups loosely packed kale leaves stems removed and coarsely chopped (about 3 stems)
- 1 cup purple sweet potatoes diced, about 1 sweet potato
- 3/4 cups carrots peeled and diced (about 2 carrots)
- 1 lb italian sausage links about 5 links, cooked and sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 3 tbsp coconut oil (melted), avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Cut all of your vegetables.
- Place vegetables and cooked sausage in a large mixing bowl. Mix with coconut oil making sure all of the vegetables are covered. Add additional coconut oil if necessary.
- Spread out sausage and vegetables on your baking sheet so that they are in a single layer. Some overlapping is okay.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper before cooking if desired.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, mixing every 15 minutes or so, until all of the vegetables are cooked through.
You will want to make sure your rutabaga is cut small enough that it cooks in the same amount of time as the other vegetables.
Watch to make sure your kale does not burn. You can add it half way through the cook time but I like my kale to get crunchy in this dish. You can also bury the kale under other vegetables to help it not burn.