Have you ever wanted to make s’mores, but don’t want to go to the trouble of roasting a marshmallow over a fire? Then these gluten-free s’mores bars are for you! They’re so incredibly easy to make and are a great dessert for potlucks and backyard BBQs. No campfire necessary!
A gluten-free brown sugar graham cracker crust is topped with rich chocolate chips and mini marshmallows that are then toasted to perfection. All you need is 5 minutes of prep time and 20 minutes of baking for this easy nostalgic treat.
What makes this recipe gluten-free?
This recipe is easily made gluten-free by using gluten-free graham crackers as the base of the bars. You can find gluten-free graham crackers at your local grocery store in the gluten-free section. My favorite brand to use for this recipe are Kinnikinnick S’moreables Graham Style Crackers. However, you can use your favorite brand!
Other ingredients you’ll want to check to make sure they’re gluten-free are the marshmallows and chocolate chips. These ingredients typically are gluten-free, but I always double check to make sure they are not processed on the same manufacturing line as wheat.
Can these bars be made dairy-free or vegan?
You can make these bars dairy-free or vegan with a few simple swaps! See my ingredient substitutions below:
- Graham crackers – Purchase a brand that does not contain any dairy (or eggs if vegan). Kinnikinnick S’moreables Graham Style Crackers are gluten-free and vegan.
- Butter substitute – Since butter is dairy, you’ll need to use a vegan butter substitute like Earth Balance Buttery Spreads. The butter flavor is essential to this recipe, so coconut oil or palm shortening will not work well in this recipe.
- Chocolate chips – Chocolate chips typically have dairy in them, you’ll want to find a vegan chocolate chip brand to use.
- Marshmallows – While marshmallows are already typically dairy-free, they contain gelatin which makes them not vegan. Use Dandies to make this recipe vegan!
Here’s what you’ll need
Ingredients: gluten-free graham crackers, unsalted butter, brown sugar, salt, ground cinnamon, chocolate chips, marshmallows
- 9×13-inch baking dish: you can cut this recipe in half and use a 8×8-inch baking dish if you’d like
- Parchment paper: for easy removal from the pan
- Kitchen torch: for toasting the marshmallows
How to make s’mores bars Step-by-Step
- Set aside 3-4 graham crackers for topping. Process remaining graham crackers in a food process until finely ground.
2. Mix the graham cracker crumbs with brown sugar, melted butter, salt, and cinnamon.
3. Press the graham cracker mixture into the bottom of a 9×13″ baking dish that is lined with parchment paper.
4. Bake the crust at 350F for 10 minutes. Then add chocolate chips and marshmallows over the crust. Reserve 1 cup each of the chocolate chips and marshmallows for later. Bake for an additional 10 minutes.
5. Add remaining chocolate chips and marshmallows to the baking dish. Break up leftover graham crackers and sprinkle over the top. With a kitchen torch, brown the marshmallows. Let cool completely before serving.
You can find gluten-free graham crackers at your local grocery store. I find that typically stores will have at least one brand in their gluten-free section. You can also purchase many brands online, too. My favorite is Kinnikinnick S’moreables Graham Style Crackers.
Yes. Use a dairy-free butter alternative, graham crackers that do not contain any dairy, and chocolate chips that are dairy-free.
Besides the dairy-free considerations, you’ll want to find vegan marshmallows as regular marshmallows contain gelatin which is not vegan.
These bars keep well at room temperature for about 5 days. After that, the marshmallow texture isn’t as good. If you refrigerate or freeze the bars, you’ll want to let them thaw out before eating because the marshmallows will get very hard.
No you don’t have to toast the marshmallows before serving. You can just add the last bit of marshmallows on and leave it as is.
If you don’t have a kitchen torch, you can toast the marshmallows by placing the s’mores bars under the broiler in your oven for about 1-2 minutes. Keep an eye on the bars as they will burn quickly.
I used semi-sweet chocolate chips in this recipe, but you can use your favorite! Milk chocolate or dark chocolate are great options!
More gluten-free dessert bar recipes
- Gluten-Free Vegan Blueberry Crumb Bars
- Gluten-Free Almond Flour Brownies
- Gluten-Free Vegan Raspberry Crumb Bars
- Gluten-Free Lemon Poppy Seed Cookie Bars
Gluten-Free S’mores Bars
- 16 oz gluten-free graham crackers (reserve remaining 3-4 graham crackers)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (melted (or dairy-free butter alternative))
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 16 oz mini marshmallows (use vegan if needed)
- 10 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips (use vegan if needed)
- for easy removal.
- Set aside 3-4 gluten-free graham crackers for topping.
- Add remaining graham crackers to a food processor and process until you have fine crumbs. You will have approximately 3 cups of graham cracker crumbs.
- In a medium bowl, add the gluten-free graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, brown sugar, salt and ground cinnamon. Stir until combined.
- Press mixture into an even layer in the 9×13″ baking dish. Bake at 350F for 10 minutes, until the crust is golden and fragrant.
- Reserve one cup each of the chocolate chips and mini marshmallows. Distribute the remaining chocolate chips over the graham cracker crust. Then top with marshmallows.
- Bake at 350F for another 10 minutes, until marshmallows are lightly browned. Let cool for a few minutes.
- Then, add the remaining chocolate chips and marshmallows to the top.
- Break up the leftover graham crackers and sprinkle over the top.
- With a kitchen torch, lightly toast the marshmallows. If you don’t have a kitchen torch, you can place the bars back in the oven under the broiler for 1-2 minutes until the marshmallows are toasted.
- Let cool completely completely before slicing.