Lately all I want to do is eat blueberries. I don’t know if it’s because of how cheap they are or what. But I keep finding myself coming home with at least a pint of blueberries every time I go to the grocery store. And if you know me well you know I’m there at least twice a week. I have a tendency to forget things and end up at the store to buy the ingredient only to come home with at least 20 more things than I needed. So anyways, blueberries. I’ve made this amazing blueberry banana oat bread, some orange blueberry scones with orange glaze, and brown sugar blueberry cookies. The bread is nutty and banana and wheat and bursting with blueberries. In other words, it’s awesome. Now I’d love to be able to share these other recipes with you, however, I didn’t capture the best pictures of them. This picture isn’t very good either, so you can only imagine what the others look like. Somehow (I say this like it’s out of the ordinary, but it’s not), I lost my camera charger in the move. I have all the boxes unpacked, not to be confused with organized, and have not found this charger anywhere. I have a feeling I left it at the old house in Madison. Or it’s lurking somewhere in the giant mess that has consumed my room. Well anyways, I ordered a new charger that should be here any day now so hopefully I can start taking some better pictures. For the past 2 weeks I’ve been using my old camera which does the job but has issues focusing and giving me clear pictures. I guess I’ll just have to remake those blueberry cookies and scones once I get my charger. Such a hard life. Sigh.
Oh funny story about the bread. So I gave some to Amy and she brought it to work for breakfast. As soon as she cut into it, a blueberry exploded all over her keyboard and as she tried to clean it up it smeared even more. I kinda laughed at hearing this. So, don’t eat this near electronics. You’ve been warned.
Blueberry Banana Oat Bread
This gluten free blueberry banana oat bread is bursting with fresh blueberries! It's a great recipe for breakfast and also makes a great gift. Make one to share!
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed banana about 2 medium ripe bananas
- 2/3 cups dark brown sugar packed
- 1/3 cups canola oil
- 2 cups gluten free flour blend
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum if your blend doesn't already contain it
- 1 cup gluten free certified oats
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 375F. Coat a 9 x 5-inch bread pan with butter and dust lightly with gluten free flour.
- In a large bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, mashed banana, brown sugar, and canola oil until blended.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, xanthan gum (if using), oats, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and baking soda.
- Stir the flour mixture into the wet ingredients, mixing until just combined.
- Carefully fold in the blueberries.
- Then, pour the bread batter into the pan.
- Bake at 375F for 55-60 minutes, until the bread is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 15 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Source: Recipe from Picky Eater Blog