Lately, I’ve been in a baking rut. Hence the lack of posts. It’s either been too hot to bake, or too rainy to get supplies, or I’ve just been pure lazy. This past weekend I went to my lake house and didn’t bake a thing. A ton of food was made, but it was not a result of me being there.
When the weekend ended, I did get to take home a few ripe bananas that never made it into the fruit salad and I knew exactly what to do with them. Double chocolate banana muffins. If that doesn’t get you out of a baking rut I don’t know what will.
These muffins strike a perfect balance of chocolate and banana and are perfect for breakfast or a snack. They were also extremely easy to make which is always a plus. You should probably go make these right now. In fact, I think I’ll eat another one while you go do that!
From start to finish, you can have these gluten-free vegan double chocolate banana muffins on the table in just about 30 minutes. How great is that? For that reason alone they’re great for breakfast entertaining or meal prep. I love to freeze a few of these muffins to defrost at a later date for easy breakfast treats.
You seriously won’t even believe these double chocolate chunk banana muffins are gluten-free, dairy-free AND vegan! Everyone who tries them is so surprised when I tell them. I have this thing where I like to bring baked goods places and don’t tell anyone that they’re gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan before they try them. Once they give them a try, I tell them and they’re shocked!
Of course, if people know it’s me who brought the baked goods… they clearly know they’re going to be gluten-free. That’s all that comes out of my house due to my celiac disease. BUT turn those gluten-free naysayers into believers with these muffins!
Now, I’m not saying that those who don’t have celiac disease, gluten intolerance, etc. should eat gluten-free by any means. In fact, it’s not great for you if you don’t NEED to be gluten-free. It’s definitely not a diet to help you lose weight, as some may think. Just want to make sure we’re all on the same page here.
However, if you know someone who needs to eat gluten-free for health reasons… make these muffins for them! They’ll love you forever! To make these muffins gluten-free, I’ve used Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 Baking Flour and Namasté gluten-free flour blend which great results!
Tips and Tricks for Making Gluten-Free Vegan Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
- Bananas not yet ripe? Here’s a trick! Poke a few holes in the banana skin and place your banana in the microwave for 60-90 seconds. Remove carefully (it will be hot) and unpeel. Your banana is now ready to use for these muffins!
- If you don’t have any paper muffin cups, liberally spray a muffin tin with cooking spray. Since we’re making gluten-free muffins, you’ll want to make sure your cooking spray does not have any flour in it (companies now have “baking” spray which contains flour and NOT gluten-free so beware!)
- Add a few chocolate chunks or chips on top of your muffins for that bakery style look! Plus they’ll get all ooey gooey and delicious on top.
- Insert a toothpick into the muffins to check for doneness. If the toothpick comes out clean, your muffins are done!
Try These Other Gluten-Free Muffin Recipes
- Gluten-Free Vegan Banana Cranberry Jam Muffins
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
- Gluten-Free Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- Paleo Snickerdoodle Muffins
- Gluten-Free Mini Blueberry Muffins
Gluten-Free Vegan Double Chocolate Banana Muffins Recipe
Who knew you could make gluten-free and vegan muffins so easily! These double chocolate banana muffins are gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan and on the table in just about 30 minutes. The whole family will love how moist and chocolatey these muffins are. They’re a great breakfast treat for Sunday mornings or for preparing for quick breakfasts during the week!
Gluten-Free Vegan Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
Need a fun gluten-free breakfast treat? Look no further than these gluten-free vegan double chocolate banana muffins. They're so easy to make and use ingredients you probably already have in your pantry - no flax or chia seeds necessary. Ripe bananas are the base of these delicious breakfast pastries and create such an amazing texture. No one will guess they're gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan.
- 1 + 3/4 cups gluten-free flour blend
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teapsoon salt
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips or chunks dairy-free
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a muffin tin with 12 cups with paper liners or grease with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, whisk together gluten-free flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt and baking powder.
In a medium sized bowl, add mashed bananas, vegetable oil, vanilla, and apple cider vinegar and stir until thoroughly combined.
Then, add the banana mixture into the dry ingredients. Stir until the mixture is moist and there are no more streaks of the dry ingredients. Fold in the chocolate chunks and chips.
With an ice cream scoop or spoon, fill the greased or lined muffin cups with the batter.
Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the muffin comes out clean.