You didn’t think I’d possibly let Christmas go by without making some more cut out cookies, did you? Good, I thought not. I decided to change it up a little bit from my normal gluten-free sugar cookies with royal icing. Mostly because I wanted to be able to eat them too! Not that I don’t mind making cute cookies for my friends and family, but sometimes a girl just wants to eat a cookie! Even if it has to be gluten-free, vegan and low in sugar! Luckily for me, some gluten-free vegan gingerbread cookies seemed to fit the bill perfectly! While there’s not a whole lot of frosting on these bad boys, they still look adorable, so they are right up my alley!
Chewy Vegan Gingerbread Cookies
- 2 1/4 cups gluten-free flour blend
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1 tbsp ground flax meal + 3 tbsp water mixed and let sit for 5 minutes
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, mix maple syrup, apple sauce, molasses, coconut oil and flax egg.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Pat into a circle and cover with plastic wrap. Let refrigerate for about 30 minutes to an hour to make it easier to work with.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Roll the dough into 1/2 inch thickness. Cut out with cookie cutters and arrange on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes, until lightly browned on the sides. Let cool on a wire rack.
- Dust with powdered sugar, frost with royal icing or leave plain, as desired.