These gluten-free cranberry pistachio icebox cookies are an easy way to entertain this holiday. Just slice and bake straight from the freezer! Dairy-free and vegan options included.
As a girl who owns a gluten-free cookie company, I sure don’t share a ton of cookie recipes around these parts. Part of that is because most of my gluten-free cookie recipe ideas go into my cookie company, Lush Bites. But really, I think it’s time more cookie recipes are shared here too! Because let’s face it – I’m cookie obsessed! So much so that there’s ALWAYS cookie dough in my freezer. You know, just in case the cookie craving strikes. I’m always ready! Frozen cookie dough is also handy in case I have a last minute get together with friends or need a quick homemade gift for someone.
It’s no surprise then that icebox cookies are my absolute FAVORITE then. Icebox cookies are also known as slice and bake cookies. Essentially you make your cookie dough and then roll it into a log shape with your shapes or using parchment paper as a guide, wrap it up tight, and store in the freezer. When you’re ready to bake, all you do is slice off some of the dough and bake it! No defrosting, no scooping, no rolling needed. They really are the easiest type of cookies to make! In preparation for the many Christmas celebrations I’ll be attending in the next few weeks, I started stocking my freezer with my favorite cookies so I’ll be ready and won’t have to stress about making desserts.
These gluten-free cranberry pistachio icebox cookies are the perfect addition to my freezer holiday cookie dough collection! Cranberry and pistachios just go SO well together because it gives the cookies that great sweet and salty combination that everyone adores. They also provide a festive red and green coloring which make them the ultimate holiday dessert! I rolled my dough in turbinado sugar before baking, but can you imagine these little cookies rolled in red or green sanding sugar instead? Can you say holiday ready or what?
I think you’ll love these gluten-free cranberry pistachio icebox cookies as much as I do! The best part is with the base of this recipe, you can use any type of dried fruit and nut combination and have an assortment of cookies this holiday! What other combinations would you love to see?
Gluten-Free Cranberry Pistachio Icebox Cookies
Gluten-free cranberry pistachio icebox cookies are dairy-free and vegan and so easy to make. Just slice and bake!
- 1 cup (2 sticks) dairy-free butter (such as Earth Balance) or regular butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp almond milk or dairy milk if you wish
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups gluten-free flour blend I like Bob's Red Mill 1-to-1 baking flour for this recipe
- 1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios
- 2 tbsp turbinado sugar or red/green sanding sugar
- In a mixing bowl, cream together butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar for 3-4 minutes, until like and fluffy.
- Add milk, vanilla, and salt and mix to combine.
- Add in the gluten-free flour about a cup at a time, mixing in between, until the flour is incorporated.
- Stir in the dried cranberries and pistachios.
- Scoop cookie dough out onto a piece of parchment paper and roll into a log. I like to somewhat shape it into a log with my hands and then cover with parchment paper and roll it until it becomes a log shape. The log should be about a foot long and 2 inches wide. Roll into the turbinado sugar so all side are coated. Cover with parchment paper or plastic wrap. Freeze for at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice cookie log into 1/4 inch pieces and place on the baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes at 375F until the outer edges of the cookie just begin to brown. Let cool for 5 minutes on the pan before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.