Look out friends! It’s grilling season!
Again, I totally don’t have a grill. But I like to pretend I do and make lots of things that taste awesome grilled, just in my cast iron skillet. It completely works for me.
When I think of the ultimate grilled food, burgers immediately come to mind. We’re big burger fans in my house but since burgers are typically binded with eggs, I tend to not be able to eat them when I’m out at a restaurant. So we make our own, which is perfect for me since then I can pack in as many veggies as I want into my burgers. I really do like as much “stuff” as possible in my burgers – onions, bell peppers, spinach, mushrooms, quinoa… I like it all. Not only does this add A TON of flavor, but it also stretches the burger meat a bit, creating more burgers for less money. If that’s not a win-win, I don’t know what is!
This turkey veggie burger recipe is perfect for summer cookouts. It’s not your typical turkey burger, as I don’t think many turkey burgers have this many vegetables in it. If a turkey burger and a veggie burger had a baby, this would probably be it. The perfect combination of turkey and vegetables. You honestly don’t even need spices other than salt and pepper because the vegetables add so much flavor! And while it’s not quite vegan (obviously), it is dairy-free, egg-free, and gluten-free. Serve your turkey veggie burgers topped with some bacon and avocado on a bed of lettuce or on your favorite gluten-free bun! We love these Keto Hamburger Buns with our turkey burgers. For sides, this keto coleslaw is a perfect accompaniment to these burgers! A side of air fryer asparagus would also be wonderful for more vegetables! Sometimes we like to serve it alongside some broccoli which is super fast and easy to make. If you don’t know how to blanch broccoli it’s so easy!
How would you eat your turkey veggie burger?
Turkey Veggie Burgers
- 2.5 lbs ground turkey
- 1 cup onion (diced)
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper (diced)
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper (diced)
- 1 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh spinach
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- oil (to coat the pan)
- toppings (optional: a few slices of bacon, 1 avocado sliced, gluten-free buns)
- In a large bowl, mix together ground turkey, diced onions, diced bell pepper, chopped spinach, salt and pepper until combined.
- With your hands, mold into 10 patties.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. When hot, add a tablespoon of oil.
- Working in small batches, cook the turkey burgers for 3-4 minutes on each side, until cooked through.
- *Serving option: top with sliced avocado and a piece of bacon and serve on a gluten-free bun!