Prosciutto Wrapped Pesto Shrimp
I don’t know about you but when it comes to football game day, I like to glam it up just a little bit. Table decor, serving platters, any cute little touches that make watching football that much more fun is right up my alley.
Especially when it comes to creating the appetizers. Game day just isn’t game day without some delicious appetizers, am I right?
Don’t get me wrong. I love a good hot dog or burger. But every now and then, how about something a little more fancy to munch on before the big game?
Today, I’m talking shrimp wrapped in prosciutto with a delicious pesto sauce filling. With just a few ingredients, your guests will be wondering how you slaved away to create such a fun and unique appetizer – only you didn’t.
You just took a trip to your favorite store for a few essentials. These little prosciutto wrapped pesto shrimp appetizers on tiny skewers will be the perfect way to up your game day with some big flavor!
They are ready in under 20 minutes, which is so great, because they taste delicious coming right out of the oven. You can even prepare the pesto ahead of time to cut down on time as the game starts or as your guests arrive.
I love creating pesto from scratch so I can change up the nuts, herbs and even keep it dairy-free if I wish, but you can always use a store bought version if you would prefer.
World Market has this lemon artichoke pesto, which is great for a change of flavor. In this recipe, I used cilantro and almonds to create my pesto. The cilantro gives a really nice flavor to the prosciutto wrapped pesto shrimp and pairs well with the chili powder I added to the shrimp.
Once cooked I put the shrimp on these adorable little bamboo skewers to keep my guests hands all nice and clean and thought they looked so cute this way.
My favorite part of my tablescape had to be the slate cheese board that I turned into a football play board. While my boyfriend says the play I created would never work (and didn’t have the correct number of players on it), it was a really fun look for our football game day.
You’ll love these prosciutto wrapped pesto shrimp appetizers for any day of the week – but especially for game day!
Prosciutto Wrapped Pesto Shrimp
- 1 lb large raw shrimp (peeled and deveined (you can leave the tails on))
- 10 slices prosciutto (cut in half lengthwise (depending on how many shrimp you have))
- 1/2 cup packed cilantro
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/8 tsp chili powder
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse cilantro, almonds, parmesan cheese, garlic and salt together until combined and almonds are im small pieces. Stream in the avocado oil until you get a thick paste. You can make it thinner by adding my oil if you wish, but for this recipe I like to make the pesto thick so it holds onto the shrimp a little bit better.
- In a bowl, pour remaining 1 tbsp of avocado oil and 1/8 tsp of chili powder over the shrimp and toss to combine. Lay the shrimp flat. Spoon a heaping teaspoon full of the pesto on the shrimp. Carefully wrap the shrimp with the prosciutto and place on its side on the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining shrimp.
- Bake at 400F for 8-10 minutes, until shrimp is orange and cooked through and the prosciutto is slightly crispy.
- Serve with bamboo cocktail sticks for the ultimate appetizer.