It’s really no secret that when it comes to dessert, 9 times out of 10 I will choose something fruity over chocolaty. It’s not that I don’t like chocolate. Because I do. It’s just that fruit is so pure that I almost feel better and healthier eating it, even if it is coated with sugar. It may also be that fruit makes me think of summer, full of lazy days hanging out by the lake and basking in the sun. Out of all of the summer desserts out there, these peach shortcakes take the cake [ha! pun intended, I’m a dork]. The cream biscuit is perfectly flaky and soaks up the juice from the peaches. Top that off with some homemade whipped cream and it’s a dream come true. If you’re looking for a change from the traditional strawberry shortcake, definitely give this recipe a try!
Gluten Free Peach Shortcakes
For the Cream Biscuits:
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum if your blend doesn't already contain it
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream plus additional 1/4 cup if needed
For the Peach Topping:
- 2-3 large ripe peaches
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tps pure vanilla extract
For the Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
For the biscuits:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add flour, salt, baking powder and sugar in a bowl. Mix together with a fork.
- Slowly add 1/2 cup of heavy cream, mixing together with a fork. If the dough has come together then you do not need to add anymore cream. If it is not holding together add up to 1/4 cup more cream.
- On a floured surface, knead together the dough for about a minute being careful not to over-knead.
- Pat the dough into a large square about 1/2 inch thick. Cut into 6 squares.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, until the biscuits are lightly browned
For the Peaches:
- Cut the peaches along the seam all the way around. Twist the halves separate ways and then cut out the pit. Slice peaches and put in a bowl.
- Add sugar and vanilla extract and give the peaches a stir until they are well coated.
- Set aside and let the juices come out.
For the Whipped Cream:
- To make the whipped cream, in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk heavy cream until almost stiff.
- Add in sugar and vanilla extract and continue to blend until the whipped cream has stiff peaks.
- To assemble, place a biscuit on a plate, flat side facing up.
- Spoon the peaches over the biscuit (don't forget all those juices!) and top with a dollop of whipped cream.
- Makes 6 open faced shortcakes.
Source: Cream biscuit recipe from Eat Your Vegetables or You Don’t Get Dessert