This gluten-free Italian sausage white bean stew is so easy to make and tastes just like an Italian style chili. It's so flavorful and makes for great leftovers!
This Italian sausage white bean stew is so easy to make and tastes just like an Italian style chili. It’s flavorful and makes for great leftovers! Naturally gluten-free, this stew is great for meal prep or serving guests for a dinner party.
Italian sausage white bean stew is hearty, meaty and delicious – perfect for cold winter days. Serve with some parmesan cheese and some crusty gluten-free bread. Pure heaven. And do you want to know the best thing about this stew? It’s ready in 30 minutes. Seriously, that’s reason enough to make it.
This Italian sausage stew is made numerous times in our house during the fall and winter months. It’s the perfect meal to share with friends and makes for great leftovers. Lazy Sundays, curled up on the couch, watching football, and eating this yummy sausage and bean stew. Perfection.
In fact, this Italian sausage white bean stew tastes just like an Italian style chili. With flavors like onion, garlic, oregano, and basil, it’s easy to see why our family sometimes calls this stew the Italian sausage chili!
Is Italian sausage and white bean stew gluten-free?
This easy italian sausage stew is indeed gluten-free! As always, check all of your ingredients to make sure they are gluten-free.
Products like canned tomatoes and beans should be naturally gluten-free. I always like to check to make sure that the packaged ground Italian sausage I’m using is listed as gluten-free. To date, I have not seen one that contains gluten, but better safe than sorry!
Can I make this white bean and sausage stew dairy-free?
This stew is easily made dairy-free, as well. The white bean and sausage stew itself is already dairy-free, you will just need to modify the serving options.
I like to serve this stew with some parmesan cheese, but if you are dairy-free you can easily leave the cheese off!
Can I use other beans besides Cannellini Beans in this sausage stew?
If you do not have cannellini beans on hand or do not like them, you can use another white bean such as great northern beans or navy beans. They are slightly smaller but will work in this recipe.
You could also use chickpeas if you like. They are larger, but again will work in a pinch.
To make this white bean and Italian sausage stew, you will need:
high-quality olive oil
diced yellow onion
canned cannellini beans
ground black pepper
How to Make Italian Sausage Stew
This italian sausage and white bean stew could not be easier to make. First, you’ll need to sauté the onion and bell peppers in a skillet until soft. Then, you’ll add the minced garlic and cook for a few minutes more.
Then, brown the Italian sausage. This typically takes about 10 minutes over medium heat.
Add in the beans, tomatoes, and herbs and let simmer for 15 minutes.
That’s it! This stew cannot get much easier!
What to serve with White Bean and Italian Sausage Stew
My favorite way to serve this italian sausage stew is with some parmesan cheese and fresh basil on top. It’s absolute perfection.
You can also serve this stew with some gluten-free crusty bread. It also taste fantastic over some rice or gluten-free pasta, too!
How Long Does Italian Sausage Stew Last?
This soup can be made several days in advance and kept in the fridge or frozen for up to three months. The soup can be reheated in the microwave or on the stove top.
Italian Sausage White Bean Stew
This gluten-free Italian sausage white bean stew is so easy to make and tastes just like an Italian style chili. It's so flavorful and makes for great leftovers!Print Pin Rate
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups diced green bell pepper (from 2 green bell peppers)
- 1 cup diced yellow onion (from 1/2 large yellow onion)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage (ground)
- 19 ounces canned cannellini beans (rinsed and drained)
- 14.5 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- 14 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese (shredded, for topping)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil (chopped, for topping)
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Coat the pan with olive oil. Add in the diced green bell pepper and onion. Sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the minced garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly to make sure the garlic doesn't burn.
- Add the lump sausage into the pan and cook for about 10-12 minutes, or until the sausage is browned and cooked through.
- Add beans and tomatoes. Stir to combine.
- Sprinkle in the oregano, basil, salt and pepper.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 10-15 minutes, until stew is heated through.
- Top with parmesan cheese and fresh basil before serving.
Serving: 6servings | Calories: 474kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 18g | Cholesterol: 45mg | Sodium: 1324mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 11g