I apologize for the lack of posts lately. I went to Disney World for work, then moved out of my apartment and into a house on campus, and then made an impromptu visit to NYC and Philadelphia. All of these events left me little to no time in the kitchen. I’m getting acquainted with my new kitchen and I’m excited to get cooking. I thought these chocolate chip cookie bars would be a great way to get started. As much as I bake cookies, I rarely ever make a traditional chocolate chip cookie. I’m not sure why this is. While I’ll admit they aren’t my favorite kind of cookie, they certainly are my favorite type of dough to munch on. Every time I make chocolate chip cookie dough I remember how much I love it. Brown sugar gets me every time. I could probably eat that stuff plain. And by probably I mean I have. It’s sad to say that most times, I end up liking chocolate chip cookie dough better than the baked cookie.
But you guys, I’ve had a change of heart. These cookie bars are sooo good. I think they have magic powers. What kind of powers you ask? Oh all sorts! These cookie bars make an otherwise gloomy day bright. These cookie bars mend broken hearts. These cookie bars say happy birthday to an old friend. These cookie bars liven up a work meeting. These cookie bars make a good breakfast (if you’re unhealthy like me). These cookie bars make every bad thought go away. See, I told you they were magical. Eat them with a scoop of ice cream and you might gain some x-ray vision. Yup super powerful things. (Note: I may or may not be wearing a Marvel t-shirt right now which explains my wanting x-ray vision really bad. Don’t judge. Eat cookies.)
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- 2 1/8 cups gluten free flour blend
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum if your blend doesn't already contain it
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 12 tbsp unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together flour, xanthan gum (if using), salt and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together melted butter and sugars until combined.
- Add in egg, egg yolk and vanilla extract and mix together.
- Slowly add in dry ingredients and mix (on low if using electric mixer) just until the dry ingredients are incorporated.
- With a spoon, mix in chocolate chips.
- Pour dough in a greased 9x13 baking pan.
- Spread with a spatula and smooth the top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden and the edges of the bars start to pull away from the pan.
- Cool and cut into squares. Store in an air tight container. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream for an extra treat.
Source: Recipe from Two Peas & Their Pod