This easy summer salad is full of brussels sprouts, kale, quinoa, strawberries, avocado and lemony goodness. It’s the perfect side dish to bring along to summer potlucks and barbecues. You can’t go wrong with the Summer Brussels Sprout Kale Salad!
Naturally gluten free, dairy free and vegan, you’ll love how easy this Summer Brussels Sprout Kale Salad with Strawberries is to throw together. Top with chicken or salmon for a complete meal!
Quinoa, brussels sprouts and kale are the stars of this easy salad recipe. They give the salad such great texture! The avocado provides a rich creaminess, and the strawberries and lemon bring a bright, freshness.
Texture + creaminess + fruity sweetness = perfect salad equation if you ask me! This salad would be great for summer picnics, spring time barbecues, or just a simple weeknight dinner!
Can you Eat Raw Brussels Sprouts?
You may be used to eating brussels sprouts roasted, but I’m telling you you’re missing out if you haven’t tried them raw before! When shaved in thin slices, brussels sprouts are so fresh and crunchy!
How to Trim Brussels Sprouts
It’s very easy to prepare brussels sprouts for this easy summer salad recipe. Cabbage
First, you’ll want to rinse the brussels sprouts to get rid of any dirt. Then cut off the woody stem of each brussels sprout with a knife. You don’t want to cut off too much of the stem as you may get into the core. The core is what holds the whole brussels sprout together.
When you cut off the stems, it’s okay if some of the leaves fall off. If any outer leaves that are still attached look discolored or bruised, peel those off and discard.
Now you’re ready to shave the brussels sprouts for the salad!
How to Shave Brussels Sprouts
There are a few ways to shred brussels sprouts for this brussels sprout kale salad.
- Use a knife. One of the more time intensive ways to shave brussels sprouts is to use a knife and carefully cut thin slices. Once sliced, separate the layers slightly.
- Use a mandolin. If you have a mandolin, you can use that to shred the brussels sprouts in even slices. I do not have a mandolin in my kitchen so this is not a method I have personally used.
- Use your food processor. This is my favorite method to shave brussels sprouts. Use the slicer attachment for your food processor to quickly shred brussels sprouts in no time at all!
Whichever method you choose for shaving your brussels sprouts, you’ll want to make sure that the slices are thin so you aren’t eating big hunks of raw brussels sprouts. Thin and crunchy is what we’re looking for here!
For More Salads Check Out These Recipes
- Southwest Quinoa Salad
- Farmer’s Market Salad with Mustard Vinaigrette
- Strawberry Spinach Salad with Strawberry Balsamic Dressing
- Rainbow Power Salad with Blueberry Vinaigrette
- Pomegranate and Squash Kale Salad
Shaved Brussels Sprout Kale Salad Recipe
This summer brussels sprout kale salad is filled with berries, avocado and quinoa and would great for summer picnics, springtime barbecues, or just a simple weeknight dinner. Crunchy and creamy, tangy and sweet, you’ll love how easy this simple salad is to make!
Summer Brussels Sprout Kale Salad
This easy summer salad is full of brussels sprouts, kale, quinoa, strawberries, avocado and lemony goodness. It's the perfect side dish to bring along to summer potlucks and BBQs.
- 1 lb. brussels sprouts trimmed and shaved
- 5 cups kale trimmed and shaved into small pieces
- 1/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 avocado cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup lemon juice from 1-2 lemons
- 1/3 cup oil avocado oil or olive oil work well
- 1 tbsp agave or honey if not vegan
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
In a small pot, combine quinoa and water. Cook over medium high heat until it reaches a boil.
Reduce heat to low and cover the pot. Continue cooking for 10-15 minutes, until quinoa is cooked through and the water is evaporated. Cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine shaved brussels sprouts, kale, cooked quinoa, strawberries and avocado.
In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, oil, agave or honey, garlic powder, parsley and salt until combined.
- Pour lemon dressing over the salad and toss until it is well coated.
- Serve immediately.
If you would like to make this ahead, you can mix together the kale, brussels sprouts and quinoa. You can also prepare the dressing but do not mix it with the salad until ready to serve. Add the strawberries, avocado and dressing just before serving.
This recipe was originally posted on April 12, 2015 and updated on May 6, 2019 with new photos and recipe tips. Same great recipe!