How in the world do you name a salad? Can someone tell me that? I have a salad full of brussels sprouts, kale, quinoa, strawberries, avocado and lemony goodness but somehow I just didn’t think that “brussels sprouts kale quinoa salad with strawberries, avocado and lemon dressing” would be the appropriate title. It’s like a paragraph. So I opted for the title “summer brussels sprout kale salad”. Which still feels long, but I hope it gets the point across. Also, I realize it’s not even summer yet, but seriously guys, being a food blogger is hard sometimes! Naming things is just not my forte!
Enough rambling. Because this salad is the bee’s knees.
Side note: People should definitely start saying the bee’s knees again. I’m bringing it back!
Honestly, It’s like I put all of my favorite things in one salad. Wait, that’s exactly what I did! Except for bacon, which obviously would be a happy addition. I’m a little obsessed with adding texture to my salads. Quinoa, brussels sprouts and kale all add great texture. On top of that, the avocado provides a rich, creaminess, and the strawberries and lemon bring a bright, freshness. Texture + creaminess + fruity sweetness = perfect salad equation if you ask me! This salad would be great for summer picnics, spring time barbecues, or just a simple weeknight dinner!
Summer Brussels Sprout Kale Salad
This summer brussels sprout kale salad is filled with berries, avocado, and quinoa and would be great for summer picnics, spring time barbecues, or just a simple weeknight dinner!
- 1 lb. brussels sprouts shaved
- 5 cups kale trimmed and shaved into small pieces
- 1/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 avocado cut into chunks
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup oil avocado oil or olive oil work well
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried parsley or 1 tbsp fresh parsley
- pinch of salt
- In a small pot, combine quinoa and water. Cook over medium high heat until it reaches a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover the pot. Continue cooking for 10-15 minutes, until quinoa is cooked through and the water is evaporated. Cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine shaved brussels sprouts, kale, cooked quinoa, strawberries and avocado.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, oil, garlic powder, parsley and salt until combined.
- Pour lemon dressing over the salad and toss until it is well coated.
- Serve immediately.
If you would like to make this ahead, you can mix together the kale, brussels sprouts and quinoa. You can also prepare the dressing but do not mix it with the salad until ready to serve. Add the strawberries, avocado and dressing just before serving.
This recipe was shard on Allergy Free Wednesday