Is it just me or do strawberry shortcakes scream barbeque in the summertime? Maybe it’s just me. When I was brainstorming 4th of July desserts the other day, berry shortcake immediately came to my mind. I was thinking of blueberries and strawberries to make it a red, white and blue dessert. But then, I thought of something better… what if I could make strawberry shortcakes into a cupcake? GENIUS! I didn’t even google it to find out how many other people thought of it before me because I simply did not want to know. I wanted to keep thinking how big of a genius I was. So I set out for a vanilla cupcake recipe. The one I found was a bit crumbly and not overly sweet so it was perfect for what I was trying to achieve. I was having problems deciding if I wanted to use a biscuit base or a cupcake base and I feel like these cupcakes fell somewhere in between so it worked out really well. Probably not a cupcake I would make to have with icing though, but maybe you’ll feel differently. I gave these to my friends and they all loved them so I hope you like them too. Enjoy these cupcakes and feel free to add some blueberries to make these 4th of July worthy!
Gluten Free Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes
For the Cupcake:
- 12 tbsp unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups gluten free flour blend
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum if your blend doesn't already contain it
- 1 1/4 cups milk
For the Filling:
- 1 lb. strawberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
For the Topping:
- 1 cup whipped Cream homemade, Cool Whip, from the can, etc.
- 1/4 cup strawberries sliced
For the Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar in a bowl.
- Add eggs and continue mixing until eggs are incorporated.
- Then, add vanilla, baking powder, salt, flour and milk.
- Continue mixing on low speed until the batter reaches a good consistency.
- Line a muffin tin with baking cups. Pour cupcake batter into the cups with either a spoon or an ice cream scoop, about 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool completely.
For the Filling:
- In the meantime, to make the filling, wash, hull and slice 1 lb of strawberries. Mash them up a bit with a fork or potato masher so that you get some smaller pieces in there.
- Then add 1/4 cup of sugar and mix gently.
- Let sit for 30 minutes to let the sugars release from the strawberries.
To Assemble Cupcakes:
- To fill cupcakes, take a knife and cut out a cone from the top of the muffin.
- Take a spoonful of the strawberries and fill the cupcake.
- Take a dollop of whipped cream and cover the strawberries.
- Garnish with sliced strawberries if desired.