I’ve realized something within the past year. And it’s really important. Here it goes…
I. LOVE. CHICKEN. WINGS.
Told ya it was important! I never used to really grab for the chicken wings when given a spread of appetizers to choose from, especially on football Sundays. My go-to was always nachos (one day we will reunite cheese I promise) or spinach artichoke dip, but now.. I’m all about those chicken wings!
Last fall I made a few varieties here on the blog that quickly became favorites in our house, these baked teriyaki chicken wings and these mango habanero chicken wings. Both are gluten-free (obviously) and baked in the oven rather than frying them in oil.
Still, you get that nice really crunch with my baking method which I absolutely love!
Today, we’re making peanut butter chicken wings using the same method, just a different sauce. These peanut butter chicken wings are currently Michael’s favorite as he has a slight obsession with peanut butter, as do I.
I remember the first time I took a giant spoon full of peanut butter and placed some chocolate chips on it and popped it into my mouth (I learned this from my mom) and he looked absolutely horrified. Now, I see him do it ALL the time and all I can reply is “SEE! IT’S GOOD!” with a giant look of satisfaction on my face. But, I digress.
Peanut butter chicken wings are crazy delicious. This isn’t some peanut butter and jelly concoction. Oh no! This sauce is all grown-up with plenty of complex flavors.
Gluten-free tamari sauce and garlic give the peanut butter that little edge that compliments the chicken so well. Chopped peanuts provide the crunch and texture that I love so much. And honey rounds out the sauce and gives that little touch of sweetness.
These wings also come together in under an hour which means they are perfect for a little Sunday football appetizer action. Pop them in the oven at the start of the game and you have some delicious chicken wings before half time!
I love that this recipe uses ingredients I always have on hand and it even works well for chicken thighs for dinner! One bite of these peanut butter chicken wings and you’ll be using peanut butter for MUCH more than just your peanut butter and jelly sandwiches from now on.
Tips for Making Peanut Butter Chicken Wings
Crispy Chicken Wings Every Time
The secret to getting a crispy skin on these chicken wings is to bake then in the oven without the sauce. Get the chicken wings super crispy by baking them with some oil and broiling for the last 5 minutes to get that perfectly golden skin.
Then, toss the wings with the sauce to ensure crispy skin and saucy goodness every single time.
No Wings? Try Other Cuts, Too!
I’ll admit, I kind of prefer to make these peanut butter chicken wings with wing drumettes rather than the typical chicken wing. But you can easily make this recipe with both types.
If you aren’t really looking for an appetizer, use chicken thighs to create peanut butter chicken for dinner! The method works just the same, but the cooking time may vary slightly. You’ll want to make sure your chicken gets to an internal temperature of 165F.
Always Add Toppings
I always add toppings on my chicken wings to let everyone know what’s in the sauce. By adding chopped peanuts to the top of these wings before serving, you’re letting everyone know that these wings are full of peanut goodness, which is especially important for those who may have a nut allergy. You don’t often find peanut butter on chicken wings, so I always like to let everyone know in case there is an allergy.
The other great reason to add toppings such as chopped peanuts to the top of your peanut butter chicken wings is for the texture! Is there anything better than that CRUNCH?!? I didn’t think so!
More Gluten Free Chicken Wing Recipes You’ll Go Crazy For!
- Baked Honey Garlic Chicken Wings
- Honey Mustard Baked Chicken Wings
- Mango Habanero Chicken Wings
- Teriyaki Chicken Wings
Other Gluten-Free Appetizers You’ll Love
- Corn and Cotija Guacamole
- How To Make A Fall Harvest Charcuterie Board
- Mini Beef Taco Cups
- Beef Taco Potato Croquettes
- Red Potato and Black Bean Taquitos
Peanut Butter Chicken Wings Recipe
If you’re looking for an easy gluten-free game day appetizer, these peanut butter chicken wings are for you. They’re baked in the oven, not fried – but they come out so crispy every single time! If you love saucy, crunchy, crispy wings then you’ll definitely want to try out these peanut butter chicken wings!
Peanut Butter Chicken Wings
For the Chicken:
- 1.5 lbs chicken wing drumettes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp oil
For the Sauce:
- 1/4 cup natural smooth peanut butter
- 2 tbsp brown sugar or honey
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp gluten-free tamari sauce (you can use soy sauce if not gluten-free)
- 4-5 tbsp water (start with 4 and see if you need another)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cups peanuts (chopped)
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Toss wings in oil and place on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 30-35 minutes, flipping half way through.
- In the meantime, make sauce. In a small pot over medium heat, combine peanut butter, honey/brown sugar, lemon juice, tamari sauce, water, garlic, ginger and cayenne pepper and whisk together. Bring to a boil and then lower to simmer. Cook for 2-3 minutes and stir. Adjust thickness by adding more water if needed. Reduce heat to low until wings are ready.
- Once wings have finished cooking through in the oven, turn the oven to broil. Broil the wings for 5-7 minutes, watching carefully, until they are crispy.
- Remove from the oven, add wings to a large bowl and pour peanut butter sauce over the wings. Toss until wings are completed covered.
- Plate wings, top with chopped peanuts, and serve.