Mango Habanero Chicken Wings
Get a taste of these sweet and spicy mango habanero chicken wings! They're baked (not fried!) and gluten-free! Perfect as an appetizer to share or to snack!
- 1.5 lbs chicken wing drummettes
- 1 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup diced ripe mango about 6 oz
- 1 habanero pepper stem removed
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup gluten-free tamari or soy sauce if not gluten-free
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp honey add more depending on how ripe your mango is
- 2 tbsp cornstarch + 1/4 cup cold water mixed together in a bowl*
Preheat oven at 400F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Toss the chicken with salt, pepper and oil. Bake at 440F for 30-35 minutes, until cooked through and chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165F. Broil the chicken for 5 minutes until crispy. Then remove from the oven and brush the chicken with the sauce (directions for the sauce below). Broil for another 3-5 minutes, until sticky and delicious looking.
To make the sauce, add 1 cup water, tamari, habanero pepper and mango to a food processor. Blend until smooth. Place in a small pot over medium heat and bring to a boil. Add ginger, garlic powder and honey. Bring down heat to medium low. Add the cornstarch and water slurry into the pot and stir until it thickens. Let cook for 10-15 minutes.
*To make the slurry, mix together cornstarch and cold water in a small bowl until no clumps of cornstarch remain. This will be the thickener for the sauce.