Last Updated on
The title of this post may be slightly deceiving. But only slightly. When you think of cookie dough, you think of butter, sugar and eggs. But these raw cookie dough bites don’t have any of that. In fact, they have a secret ingredient.. chickpeas. Yep! You read that right. Chickpeas. When blended they create such a great base. I swear, you won’t be able to taste the chickpeas at all! All it takes is some chickpeas, nut/seed butter, and a few other ingredients to create these little healthy treats.
I will say, they don’t taste exactly like the typical raw chocolate chip cookie dough that you get from the grocery store, but they’re still pretty darn good. They’re not too sweet, which for my tastes, is just perfect. I love the dark chocolate chunks in these bites since they’re vegan, gluten-free and lower in sugar than typical chocolate chips, but you can use regular chocolate chips or sugar-free chocolate chips if you prefer. I also used sunflower seed butter mostly because that’s what I had on hand. But they would taste amazing with some peanut butter, almond butter, or other nut butter. (helloooo cashew butter!) I can’t wait to try out some other flavor combinations. Healthy snickerdoodle cookie dough bites anyone?
Raw Cookie Dough Bites
- 15 oz chickpeas (canned, drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (or almond butter)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp honey (or maple syrup for vegan)
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips (I use a dairy-free variety)
- In a food processor, combine chickpeas, nut butter, vanilla extract, cinnamon and honey. Blend until combined and smooth, scraping down the sides with a spatula a few times.
- Transfer to a bowl. Mix in chocolate chunks.
- Take a tablespoon size piece and roll into a ball. Place on a cookie sheet or other flat surface. Freeze for at least 30 minutes, until firm.
- Best served straight from the freezer.