Last Updated on
Hummus is a treat I only recently started liking, but now that I’ve discovered it I’m addicted. Hummus is so versatile- you can eat it with pita, veggies, as a spread on a wrap, and much more.
I love that it’s filling, healthy, and can be whipped up in a food processor in a matter of minutes! There are many ways to make hummus, but traditionally it contains mashed chickpeas combined with a sesame paste called tahini, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper.
There are many variations on the traditional hummus. Personally I like to add just a few spices or sometimes when I’m feeling bold I prefer cucumber and dill hummus. This recipe is one of my own.
I took the typical ingredients you find in hummus and changed the measurements to get them to my liking and added a few spices. I don’t like my hummus to have too much tahini or too much lemon and I think my recipe has reached a perfect middle ground between the two.
Feel free to add different spices or change the measurements to find the perfect hummus for you! Make sure to eat with homemade pita chips for an extra special treat!
- 2 cans 3 cups garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice from 1-2 lemons
- zest of half a lemon
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup hot water
- drizzle of olive oil for topping
- pinch of paprika for topping
- In a food processor, add garbanzo beans, lemon juice, lemon zest, cumin, red pepper flakes, paprika, salt, tahini, olive oil, and garlic cloves.
- Combine until smooth.
- Add in small doses anywhere from 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of hot water to reach your desired consistency. Make sure you blend in between each addition. The hummus will set up a bit more in the refrigerator so keep that in mind when you're adding your water.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving to let the flavors meld.
- Drizzle olive oil on top of the hummus and sprinkle with paprika just before serving.