Last Updated on
Dill takes this easy coleslaw recipe to the next level! You’ll love the fresh and bright flavors this herb brings to classic coleslaw. This easy cabbage dill coleslaw pairs so well with so many of your favorite foods – from burgers to tacos to brats – you’ll definitely want this gluten-free and dairy-free side dish on your table this summer. And guess what? You can have it on the table in under 15 minutes!
Is it just me, or does it feel weird when 4th of July is right smack dab in the middle of the week? Yo, too? Okay. good. We celebrated for the 4th of July a bit this past weekend at my parents’ lake house in Wisconsin. We grilled up some brats and chicken and served them along side some corn, fruit salad and of course, this easy cabbage dill coleslaw.
This easy cabbage dill coleslaw is made for summer BBQs. It’s easy, fresh, crunchy, and zesty. Everything you should want in a slaw. Plus it’s so easy to throw together and is on the table in under 15 minutes! This time, I decided to dress my coleslaw with a dill vinaigrette rather than a mayo based dressing. When it gets this hot outside (it was 93F this weekend.. yuck) I like to keep my sides for dinner on the lighter side. Creamy is great, don’t get me wrong, but I thought a light dill vinaigrette would be perfect for this cabbage slaw.
Have you ever cooked with fresh dill before? It’s magical. Dill has a rather distinctive taste and sort of reminds me of the taste of fennel. You can typically find it with other fresh herbs at your grocery store. I recently purchased a whole bunch from my local store and knew I had to put it to good use in this cabbage dill coleslaw. You see, I’ve been a little dill obsessed lately. I had it in a rice dish recently and my obsession spiraled from there. Now, I’ve been using it in pestos, creamy sauces, and vinaigrettes as in this coleslaw recipe. I think you might get a little addicted to it too. It’s so bright and grassy and lends itself SO WELL to so many different recipes. Next time you’re making a recipe that calls for a different herb, maybe try to use dill in its place. You may surprise yourself with how much you like it!
Can I Use a Food Processor to Make Easy Cabbage Dill Coleslaw?
Let’s talk a little bit more about how I made this cabbage dill slaw. When I share a recipe here, I’ve made it a few times at the very least. I like to test different proportions, ingredients, and methods. This coleslaw is no different. There are a few different ways you can cut your cabbage and carrots for this recipe. I’ve written my recommended way in the recipe itself but let’s chat about them here first.
Yes, you can use a food processor to make this cabbage dill coleslaw. I’ve done it, it tastes good. I promise. However, that is not my recommended method. Why? simply because the food processor cuts the cabbage down a little too much for my liking. In coleslaw I prefer to have more of a shaving than processed little bits. However, if you’re in a pinch or don’t mind smaller pieces, process away! The flavor will be spot on still. I will admit, I used the food processor to grate my carrots in every method. It’s easy, effective, and the carrot sticks all remain the same size. Of course, if you want to save even more time, you can simply purchase a bag of coleslaw mix from your grocery store and proceed with the rest of the recipe. I won’t tell anyone!
Tips and Tricks for Making Easy Cabbage Dill Coleslaw
- Use a food processor to shred your carrots. If you have a grater attachment to your food processor, you will have perfect shredded carrots every time. And your hands won’t turn orange. Win, win.
- No red cabbage? That’s okay! Substitute with more green cabbage. We used red cabbage here for it’s color and peppery taste. If you can’t find it, don’t let that stop you from making this delicious slaw!
- To make ahead, prep the vinaigrette in a separate container. Toss just before serving.
- Use this cabbage dill coleslaw as something other than a side dish. Top it on your burgers, brats and even tacos. We served this with shrimp tacos one night and it was AH-MAZ-ING!
Try These Recipes for a Delicious Gluten-Free BBQ
- Spinach Garlic Turkey Burgers
- Roasted Corn and Bacon Red Potato Salad
- Farmer’s Market Salad with Mustard Vinaigrette
- Ultimate Keto Buns
- Grilled Chipotle Lime Corn
Easy Cabbage Dill Coleslaw Recipe
This cabbage dill coleslaw is so easy and refreshing to round out your gluten-free BBQ feast. The dill is the star of the show in this crunchy and zesty gluten-free side dish. The colors are fantastic which will make it a welcome side on any table. You’ll love how the dill and lime pair together to create the perfect dressing in this otherwise classic slaw.
Easy Cabbage Dill Coleslaw
- 2 cups green cabbage shredded (about 1/4 cabbage head)
- 2 cups red or purple cabbage shredded (about 1/4 cabbage head)
- 2 cups carrots julienned (about 2 carrots)
- 1/3 cup fresh dill roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 2 limes juiced (about 3 tbsp)
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, combine shredded cabbage, carrots and dill. Toss to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together apple cider vinegar, oil, lime juice, granulated sugar, salt and black pepper. Stir to combine.
- Toss cabbage mixture with vinaigrette until combined. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Let sit in the refrigerator until ready to serve.