Crock Pot Pulled Pork in Apple BBQ Sauce – this gluten-free pulled pork in a naturally sweetened apple BBQ sauce is definitely a crowd pleaser! You’ll love finding different ways to eat it!
Eating out is hard when you have celiac disease and a lot of food intolerances. Even if a restaurant has a gluten free menu, you often worry if you’ll get sick from cross contamination. Typically, when I find a restaurant that I’ve had good experiences with, I become a frequent customer. Michael and I only have a few restaurants that I feel safe eating at that are within walking distance of our house. One of them is a great ribs joint so we find ourselves there often.
The only issue is that I’m unable to eat the BBQ sauce on all of the ribs because of the refined sugar and vinegar (Strangely enough, I don’t have any reaction to apple cider vinegar though). So I normally eat my ribs and pork dry rubbed with no sauce. However, lately I’ve been really missing having some BBQ sauce. I thought it was about time that I made a sauce at home that was refined sugar free and used apple cider vinegar and boy am I glad I did!
This sauce is sweetened with apple sauce and honey and hits all the right notes! It was super easy to make and while it might have a slight apple sauce texture you could definitely blend it longer than I did to get it to a smooth consistency. However, I was throwing it in the crock pot with some pork so I wasn’t too worried about the texture.
Now let’s talk about this pulled pork. I became slightly obsessed with it and was eating it on EVERYTHING. Lettuce wraps. Tater Tots. Over Fritos. Seriously – best week of lunches EVER! I think you’ll love how easy this crock pot pulled pork is to put together. The sauce takes a little bit of time but other than that, it’s just a dump and go kind of recipe. The bacon provides that little bit of smokiness that makes the pork taste sooo good. And I just love the versatility of the pork too! There are so many options with this dish!
What’s your favorite way to eat pulled pork?
Crock Pot Pulled Pork in Apple BBQ Sauce
- 15 oz diced or crushed tomatoes canned
- 7 oz tomato paste
- 1/4 cup tamari sauce can also use coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground mustard
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3 slices bacon
- 2.5 lb pork roast
- Preheat the crockpot.
- In the meantime, to make the sauce add all the ingredients except for the bacon and pork roast. Bring to a boil, and then let simmer for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Using an immersion blender or by adding all of the ingredients to a blender, blend the sauce until it is smooth. Return to the pan and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Place the bacon in the crock pot and then lay the pork roast on top. Cover with 2/3 of the sauce. Reserve the remaining 1/3 for serving.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. Shred the pork with two forks.
- Serve with remaining sauce.