Baked gluten-free vegan chocolate donuts are not only super chocolatey, but they’re deliciously moist too! Top with toasted coconut for extra deliciousness! Did I say delicious enough already? Delicious.
I have been craving donuts like no other lately. I’ve even caught myself staring at donut pictures longingly on Instagram many times before realizing what I was doing. It’s a slippery donut-y slope I tell ya! But I blame it on our trip to California. During our stay in San Diego, we made a few trips to a restaurant called Cafe Gratitude. Amongst all the pancakes, breakfast quinoa tacos, and crepes.. no trip was complete without a gluten-free vegan donut.
Naturally as soon as I got home, all I wanted to eat was more donuts. I just And boy am I glad I did! These donuts were seriously so delicious. You wouldn’t even know they are gluten-free AND vegan. Really. And I promise they don’t taste like cardboard (since I’ve found out that’s what people worry about most when baking without gluten, dairy and eggs)! These donuts are fluffy, moist, and delicate. Everything you could possibly want in a donut!
This recipe was adapted from my gluten-free chocolate peppermint donuts. I was so excited when I originally made them since they were gluten-free and then literally two days later I found I couldn’t have eggs, dairy, or sugar. Dreams diminished. Or so I thought. Now that I’m able to add a little bit of sugar back to my diet, I was able to tweak that old recipe and come up with this delicious vegan version. Sure the frosting doesn’t contain loads of powdered sugar, but I love it anyways (actually probably more)! And I think you’ll love it too!
As always, send me your pictures if you make this recipe or tag them at #adashofmegnut on Instagram! I want to see your creations!
Baked Vegan Chocolate Donuts
For the Donuts:
- 1 1/4 cups gluten-free flour blend I used Bob's Redmill or see notes
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
For the Frosting:
- 6 oz dark chocolate dairy-free, low sugar, gluten-free if need be
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2-3 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla or almond extract
- 1/4 cup almond milk as needed
- 1/2 cup toasted unsweetened coconut optional
- Preheat oven to 375F. In a large bowl, mix together flours, cocoa powder, coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.. Then, add in almond extract, apple cider vinegar, almond milk and vegetable oil. Whisk until smooth. Coat a donut pan with nonstick cooking spray (make sure it does not have flour in it if you need to be gluten-free). Spoon or pipe batter into the donut pan. The batter should just about reach the top of the pan. Bake at 375F for 10-14 minutes or until the donuts spring back when you touch them. Cool on a wire rack.
- To make the frosting, in a small pot over medium-low heat, whisk together chocolate, coconut oil and maple syrup until melted. Add in vanilla and stir until smooth. Take off the heat and add up to 1/4 cup almond milk if needed to thin out icing to desired consistency.
- When the donuts are cooled, dip them into the frosting and shake off any excess. Place back on wire rack and sprinkle with toasted coconut if desired.
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup sweet rice flour
1/4 cup potato starch
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
This recipe was shared on Allergy Free Wednesdays