Apple season is one of my favorite seasons. I hadn’t been apple picking since I was a little girl, so Michael (my boyfriend) and I decided that we would head an hour and a half out of the city to pick some apples. We got to the apple orchard and headed straight for the massive line of people waiting for their entrance tickets to the orchard. No sooner, a man working there came right up to us and let us know that there were no apples left on the trees but we could walk around the orchard if we liked and pick apples from bins. Michael and I decided that we would prefer to walk around the bakery and see what they had there. We ended up with a whole score of treats – caramel apples, fudge, apple cider, and alas a bag of Swiss Gourmet apples. We even got to try each of the apples that the orchard grows there. So even though we didn’t get to pick apples from the trees themselves, we still had a good time and came home with a huge bag of apples.
Which brings us to these pancakes. While at the orchard someone had mentioned apple cider pancakes. So naturally I wanted those right away. Even if you don’t eat gluten-free the method of this recipe is great. Just sub the milk in your favorite recipe with apple cider. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves. And then make this delicious cinnamon apple topping! Perfect for a fall morning! These pancakes are delicious; perfectly spiced and very fluffy! Subbing cider also makes it a great option if you are trying to reduce the amount of dairy in your recipe! Enjoy!
Gluten Free Apple Cider Pancakes with Apple Topping
These gluten free apple cider pancakes are topped with cinnamon apples for an easy Fall breakfast treat!
For the Pancakes:
- 1 1/4 cup gluten-free flour blend
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum if your blend doesn't already contain it
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1 1/4 cup apple cider
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp melted butter
For the Cinnamon Apples:
- 1 cup chopped apples 1 small/medium apple, cored and chopped
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp apple cider
- Preheat large skillet over medium heat.
- In a bowl, mix together dry ingredients. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together cider, eggs, vanilla, and melted butter.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Spoon some batter onto the skillet and cook until there are a few bubbles and the bottom is lightly browned.
- Flip and cook for 2-3 more minutes, or until cooked through.
- While the pancakes are cooking, in a small skillet, melt 1/2 tablespoon of butter.
- Add the apples, cinnamon and apple cider.
- Cook while continually stirring with a spatula.
- Cook until the apples are softened.
- Spoon over the pancakes for serving.