I’m not sure if you’ve noticed, but I’ve been on a little bit of a pasta kick lately. I had an idea for a pasta with sausage and peppers but felt myself falling back into my comfort zone. So when I confiscated a bag of leftover potatoes from my parents’ lake house, I knew exactly what to make.
I set off to find a recipe but nothing was EXACTLY how I had been imagining it. So I used a recipe to figure out how to cook the sausage and potatoes, adjusted the vegetables and spices to my liking, and I was on my way. If you’re looking for a hearty meal, this is it.
Next time I think I’ll try to add green and yellow bell peppers to the mix for some color variation. My friends absolutely loved this meal, we’re still talking about it a week later. This is definitely a meal I will be making again.
Sausage Potato Skillet
- 5-6 medium red potatoes chopped into small bite sized pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil separated
- 1 tsp paprika or to taste
- 1 tsp rosemary or to taste
- 1 tsp garlic powder or to taste
- 1 - 1.25 lb mild Italian sausage links about 6 links
- 1 orange bell pepper sliced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1/2 sweet onion chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper or to taste
- Heat a medium sized skillet over medium high heat.
- In a large bowl, toss potatoes with 1 tbsp of olive oil, rosemary, paprika and garlic powder until well coated.
- Then pour the potatoes into the heated skillet.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 15 minutes turning occasionally. Keep warm and set aside.
- Put 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet and preheat over medium high heat.
- Then, cut the sausage into bite size pieces, about 3/4 inch chunks. Add the sausage to the heated skillet and cook until sausages are browned on all sides and the middle is cooked through.
- Drain excess oil from the pan and add peppers and onions.
- Cover pan and cook for 10 more minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Add potatoes and combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.