It’s starting to get a bit chilly here in Chicago, and that means only one thing to me…. It’s SOUP season! If you know me, you know how much I love soup. Not only eating it, but making it. I just love how easy soup is to make and all the different flavor possibilities. I tend to have a look around my pantry and refrigerator and whatever I have in there, is going in a soup! And I’ll tell you what. It tastes delicious EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.
This time around, I thought it might be fun to use my crock pot to make chicken tortilla soup. There were two reason for this. 1. It allowed me to leave the house and get some errands done while the soup was doing it’s thing. and 2. It made cooking the chicken 10x easier, not to mention the chicken is sooo moist and tender from the slow cook. All I had to do was throw everything in the crock pot and come back later to shred the chicken and the soup was done! Easy peasy lemon squeezy. More like easy peasy lime squeezy am I right? Eh? No one? (at least I crack myself up..)
My favorite part of this crock-pot chicken tortilla soup is the homemade tortilla strips. They were very easy to make in the oven and tasted great with the spicy soup. All you do is cut corn tortillas into strips, lightly spray with cooking oil and then bake in the oven for 5-10 minutes until crispy. Much healthier than the fried version and tastier too!
I topped my soup with some fresh sliced avocado and it was pure bliss in every bite (they don’t call me the Avocado Lady at work for nothing!). You could also top with some sour cream or shredded cheese if you can eat dairy, it would be great! I know I will be making this soup all winter long!
What’s your favorite cold weather soup?
- 2.5 lbs chicken breasts or thighs, skinless and boneless
- 1 large onion, diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz) can corn
- 1½ qts chicken stock (make sure it is gluten-free if need be)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 lime, juiced
- 5 corn tortillas
- avocado (for serving)
- Turn crock-pot to low setting. Add half of the onions and bell peppers to the bottom of the crockpot.
- Place chicken on top of onions and peppers. Then add remaining ingredients except for the corn tortillas. You may need to add more chicken stock to reach the desired consistency of your soup.
- Cover with lid and cook for 6 hours on low.
- Shred chicken with a fork and serve with fresh avocados and tortilla strips.
- To make the tortilla strips, preheat oven to 375F. Cut tortillas into strips. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Place strips in a single layer on the baking sheet and then spray the tops lightly with cooking spray. Place in the oven and bake for 5-10 minutes, until strips are crispy.