Oh man have I been craving dessert lately. Being on a sugar-free diet (let alone gluten-free, dairy-free and egg-free on top of that) is excruciating on my love for desserts. But maybe that’s part of the reason I’m in this predicament in the first place. I love sugar. And the yeast in my body loves sugar. But the yeast hates me.
It shouldn’t surprise you that I am SO ridiculously determined to create some delicious treats that are on my diet. It’s all in due time, my friends. However, in the meantime, there will be fails. Many, many fails. (You’ve already heard about the horrible black bean brownies that I made…) And then there’s those moments that give you a glimmer of hope. The hope that one day, I’ll be able to consistently make guilt-free desserts that turn out 9 out of 10 times rather than 1 out of 20 times. Well I am here to share that ONE with you! Finally! A great tasting dessert recipe that turned out. They’re chocolatey, coconutty, a little crunchy, a little creamy, everything you could want in a quick dessert! Best part – they don’t require any baking! Yay for desserts! Now don’t be mad at me when you have to wait another month until I can get another dessert to turn out. Just eat these everyday.
Chocolate Coconut Balls
- 1 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 3/4 cup almond butter
- 2 tbsp dark cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- pinch of salt
- stevia (to taste (I used 16 drops liquid stevia))
- In a food processor, blend together 1 cup of the shredded coconut (reserve 1/4 cup for topping), almond butter, cocoa powder, cinnamon, almond meal, coconut flour, and salt.
- Then drizzle in the coconut oil until you reach a workable consistency (you want it to be able to hold together into balls).
- Add the stevia to taste.
- Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes or so until it firms up.
- Then, take a tablespoon of the dough and form into a ball. Roll the ball in the reserved shredded coconut.
- Freeze or refrigerate until ready to serve.