Peppermint Hot Chocolate
Homemade peppermint hot chocolate is so easy to make at home. No need to head to your local coffee shop for this decadent drink. With just 5 simple ingredients, you can have the most decadent and rich mug of peppermint hot chocolate.
Is there anything cozier than a mug full of peppermint hot chocolate during the winter? As the weather gets cooler, I find myself craving hot drinks like hot cocoa to keep me warm. This peppermint hot chocolate is perfect for winter with a little festive holiday touch of peppermint.
It really does not get much easier than this homemade hot cocoa! It just takes a few simple ingredients you probably already have in your baking stash in the pantry!
Growing up, we used to make our hot chocolate with cocoa powder and sugar. But, ever since I made my peanut butter hot chocolate, I realized an even EASIER way to get my hot chocolate fix. Chocolate chips!
Chocolate chips are the perfect way to make a rich, flavorful hot chocolate with just a few simple ingredients. Since they already have sugar in them, you don’t have to worry about getting the right cocoa to sugar ratio. Unless of course you want your hot cocoa to be on the sweeter side, then you can add in more sugar if you’d like.
What’s a peppermint hot chocolate without candy canes? We’re using peppermint two ways in this recipe to get the perfect amount of peppermint flavor. Both crushed candy canes and peppermint extract are used in this easy peppermint hot chocolate.
You can crush the candy canes by placing them in a ziploc bag and hitting them with a rolling pin until they are a fine sugar-like consistency. If you want to skip the plastic bag, add your candy canes to a food processor and pulse away! I also love to add some whole candy canes for serving to use as stirring sticks. So fun, right?
How do I make hot chocolate dairy-free?
This peppermint hot chocolate recipe is very easy to make dairy-free (and vegan for that matter!). All you have to do is swap out your milk for a non-dairy milk, like almond milk, and use dairy-free chocolate chips. I’ve successfully tested this with almond milk and still, it creates a decadent, thick hot chocolate!
If you need to make the hot chocolate vegan, you’ll also need to top the hot chocolate with vegan marshmallows or skip the marshmallows all together! Coconut whipped cream also makes a great topper!
How To Make Peppermint Hot Chocolate
Making your own homemade peppermint hot chocolate is very quick and easy. You can have it on the table in just about 5 minutes. Whether you’re making a batch for 2 or doubling or tripling the recipe to feed a crowd, the steps are simple!
- Heat your milk of choice in a saucepan on the stove until it comes to a simmer.
- Remove from the heat and add the chocolate chips, crushed candy canes, and peppermint extract.
- Stir until thick and creamy. Top with a candy cane and marshmallows!
See? So easy! I love how quickly I can throw together this peppermint hot chocolate recipe so I can enjoy a hot mug whenever the craving strikes. This hot chocolate recipe is perfect for the holidays, especially served with a cookie (like these gluten-free chocolate peppermint hot chocolate cookies!)
Looking for more warm drinks this season? Try these!
- My Vegan Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate is so incredibly thick and creamy! If you love peanut butter, you’ll love this easy hot cocoa!
- Did you know you can make your own Caramel Macchiato at home? No coffee shop required!
- Do you follow a keto lifestyle? Try this Keto Hot Chocolate Mix for a warm drink sweetened with monkfruit sweetener!
- These Vegan Hot Chocolate Bombs are such a fun way to drink hot chocolate! Just add your milk of choice and watch it transform into a cup of hot cocoa!
Peppermint Hot Chocolate Recipe
This peppermint hot chocolate recipe is so easy and only takes about 5 minutes to get a comforting mug of hot chocolate on your table. Topped with marshmallows and a candy cane, this festive drink is creamy and rich, everything you could want in a hot chocolate recipe!
Peppermint Hot Chocolate
- 2 cups milk (or non-dairy milk of choice)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 2 candy canes (finely crushed)
- 1/4 cup marshmallows (for topping)
- 2 candy canes (for topping)
- In a small saucepan, add milk. Heat over medium heat until milk is warm and gently simmering. You don’t want the milk to come to a boil, though.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the chocolate chips, peppermint extract, and candy canes. Whisk until melted and combined. Taste and add any additional peppermint extract if needed to suit your preferences.
- Top with marshmallows and candy canes for serving.