Why this recipe works
Do you love using your air fryer as much as I do? Then you have to try these easy air fryer chicken thighs. Use bone-in skin-on chicken thighs to get flavorful, juicy chicken thighs with crispy skin. It works perfectly every time!
I’ve been a long time fan of roasting chicken thighs in my cast iron skillet for entertaining guests. However, I don’t always want to preheat my oven for a quick meal with my family. I tweaked my cast iron roasted chicken thighs recipe to be made in the air fryer and the results are delicious!
Crispy skin, juicy meat, never overcooked. It’s a tried and true recipe that we keep eating again and again! Crispy chicken thighs pair well with so many sides, from rice dishes to roasted vegetables. These air fry chicken thighs are also great for meal prep, because you can reheat them again. Just place them back in the air fryer for about 5 minutes until they’re cooked through and the chicken skin is crispy once again!
You’ll love this recipe because:
- Chicken thighs – Use bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs for this recipe. The skin makes this recipe. It turns so crispy and delicious in the air fryer. You could use boneless skinless chicken thighs if you prefer. They will take a few minutes less time in the air fryer and will not turn out crispy, but still can work for various dinner recipes. Start checking the air fryer at the 14 minute mark for air fryer boneless skinless chicken thighs. The internal temperature should be 165F when it has finished cooking.
- Olive oil – I like the flavor of extra-virgin olive oil in this recipe, but you could also use a more neutral oil, like avocado oil, if you prefer. Coconut oil also works in this recipe, just keep in mind that it will have a slight coconut flavor.
- Spices – I like to use a combination of garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper for my most basic recipe, but you can change up the herbs and spices to fit your taste and whatever you plan on serving the chicken thighs with. You can change it up and add some onion powder and Italian seasoning to the spice blend, or even top the chicken with fresh herbs or lemon after it comes out of the air fryer.
Bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs tend to be the most economical chicken cut at your local grocery store. Use that to your advantage in this recipe! I also find it to be the most delicious! The bone keeps the chicken really moist and juicy with tons of flavor. The skin crisps up so perfectly. You can’t go wrong with this cut of chicken.
This crispy air fryer chicken thighs recipe is so easy to make with just 6 simple ingredients and minimal prep time. Follow the step-by-step photos below with matching instructions to help you make the recipe perfectly every time.
For the ingredient list with measurements, full instructions, printable recipe, and additional notes, please scroll down to the recipe card.
This recipe is naturally gluten-free. It’s made with just chicken thighs, oil, and a few spices. The air fryer does all the work to make the skin crispy.
I tend to not preheat my air fryer, but if you find that you need to with your model of air fryer, then preheat it for about 5 minutes. With this recipe, I don’t think it’s necessary as the skin gets really crispy when you flip it over for the last part of the cooking time.
hints & tips
- Storage: Store leftover chicken thighs in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- Reheat: You can reheat leftover chicken thighs in the air fryer to get the skin crispy again! Place the chicken thighs in the air fryer, skin side up. Air fry at 400F for about 5-8 minutes, until the chicken is hot and the skin is crispy. Serve immediately.
This air fryer chicken thigh recipe is a great option for an easy weeknight dinner or for entertaining guests. It goes perfectly with so many types of side dishes.
Did you make this recipe?
I’d love to know! Please rate it and leave a comment below. You can also share your pictures and tag @adashofmegnut on Instagram.
Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 lbs bone-in skin-on chicken thighs (about 4 total)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Add the garlic powder, salt, ground black pepper, and paprika to a small bowl. Whisk until combined.
- Add the chicken thighs to a large mixing bowl. Top with the olive oil.
- Add the spice blend to the chicken thighs and toss until the chicken is completely covered.
- Place chicken thighs skin side down in the air fryer basket.
- Air fry at 400F for 18-20 minutes, flipping halfway through, until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165F when you stick an instant read thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh and the skin is crispy.
- Serve immediately.
- I used my Cosori Air Fryer Max XL 5.8QT for this this crispy chicken thighs recipe.
- This recipe is naturally gluten-free. As always, be sure to double check spice blends you may be using to ensure they are gluten-free. Also, if you are cooking for someone with celiac disease, ensure there is no cross contact with gluten in your kitchen.
- Depending on the size of your chicken thighs, your cook time may be different than mine. My chicken thighs were about 1/2 lb each. If your chicken thighs are smaller than this, flip the chicken thighs after 7 minutes and then start checking the internal temperature of the chicken with a meat thermometer after another 5 minutes to ensure your chicken does not overcook. The exact cooking time may vary.