Gluten Free Broccoli Basil Cheese Pasta
This gluten free broccoli basil cheese pasta is an easy weeknight meal that the whole family will love.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 3/4 lb gluten free pasta shells
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons gluten free flour blend
- 12 ounces evaporated milk plus a few splashes of regular milk to thin out the sauce if need be
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella
- 2 crowns of broccoli approximately 2 1/2 to 3 cups rinsed and cut into small pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 basil leaves chopped into small pieces
In a large pot, boil water and cook pasta al dente according to directions on the box.
Strain the pasta when it is done and then put it back in the pot.
In the meantime, in a large skillet, melt butter on low.
Then add flour and whisk constantly until you make a rue. Don't look away because it is very easy to burn.
Add in the ground mustard, paprika, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
While still whisking, slowly add the evaporated milk. Try to keep whisking so that the sauce doesn't get too clumpy. It's okay if it does, you can always add a little more butter too to make it smoother. Turn up the heat a little bit and whisk until the sauce thickens.
Then, add in the cheddar and mozzarella cheese and stir until incorporated.
In a microwave safe bowl, add broccoli and a few tablespoons of water. Then cover the top with a microwave safe plate that is flipped over.
Microwave for 60 seconds or until the broccoli is steamed. I like mine with a little crunch still but if you prefer a softer broccoli you can go a little longer than that. I had to steam my broccoli in 2 batches because my bowl was small. Drain the water from the bowl and add the broccoli to the cheese mixture.
Then add the basil to the mixture. Stir until the broccoli and basil are incorporated.
Add the cheese mixture to the pasta and stir until the pasta is well coated. Serve immediately.
Calories: 550kcal | Carbohydrates: 62g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 69mg | Sodium: 552mg | Potassium: 849mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 2020IU | Vitamin C: 181.8mg | Calcium: 539mg | Iron: 2.7mg