Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Turkey Chili
This slow cooker sweet potato turkey chili is so comforting and hearty. It's filled with tender sweet potatoes, lean ground turkey, black beans and tons of flavor! It's naturally gluten-free and gluten-free, too!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time6 hrs
Total Time6 hrs 10 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 + 1/2 cups onion diced (about 1 onion)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup green bell pepper diced (about 1 bell pepper)
- 5 cups sweet potatoes peeled and cubed (about 2 large sweet potatoes)
- 30 oz canned tomato sauce
- 16 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 30 oz (2 cans) black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
In a skillet over medium high, heat oil. Add ground turkey and cook unill browned, about 5-7 minutes.
Add the diced onion to the skillet and cook for 3-5 minutes, until softened. Stir in minced garlic and cook an additional minute.
Add turkey, onion and garlic to the slow cooker. Then add remaining ingredients. Stir to combine.
Cook in the slow cooker on low for 4-6 hours, stirring occasionally until the chili is hot and the sweet potato is tender. Taste and adjust any seasonings as needed.