Crock-Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
You'll love how easy this crock-pot chicken tortilla soup is to make. Just a few simple ingredients in your slow cooker and dinner is served! Gluten-free and dairy-free.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time6 hrs
Total Time6 hrs 15 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 2.5 lbs chicken breasts or thighs skinless and boneless
- 2 cups yellow onion diced (about 1 onion)
- 1 cup green bell pepper diced (about 1 bell pepper)
- 1 cup red bell pepper diced (about 1 bell pepper)
- 28 oz diced tomatoes canned
- 15 oz black beans canned, rinsed and drained
- 15 oz corn canned
- 48 oz chicken stock make sure it is gluten-free if need be
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 lime juiced
- 5 corn tortillas
- 1 avocado for serving
Turn crock-pot to low setting. Add half of the onions and bell peppers to the bottom of the crockpot.
Place chicken on top of onions and peppers. Then add remaining ingredients except for the corn tortillas. You may need to add more chicken stock to reach the desired consistency of your soup.
Cover with lid and cook for 6 hours on low.
Shred chicken with a fork and serve with fresh avocados and tortilla strips.
To make the tortilla strips, preheat oven to 375F. Cut tortillas into strips. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Place strips in a single layer on the baking sheet and then spray the tops lightly with cooking spray. Place in the oven and bake for 5-10 minutes, until strips are crispy.