Vegan Quinoa Breakfast Tacos are super filling and just the start you need for your day! Naturally gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free and vegan, these tacos are sure to be a hit!
Let me tell you, my taco cravings have been STRONG this week. I could eat tacos for days and be a happy camper. Last week, Michael made us slow cooker chicken tacos based on my crockpot pork taco recipe. So basically, chicken + salsa in a crockpot = deliciousness. And now, I’m making/sharing/eating (non-stop) these vegan quinoa breakfast tacos!
What makes a taco a breakfast taco you ask? Well normally, I’d say it’s eggs. But as a non-egg eater, I’m going to say it’s potatoes. But you could definitely eat these for lunch or dinner as well. I just need more options for breakfast because as much as I love smoothies, I get bored every once in awhile and need to chow down on some breakfasty goodness. I absolutely adore how these came out! Spiced quinoa, potatoes and black beans make up the filling for these delicious tacos. Then you top them with your favorite salsa, avocados, cilantro, toasted pumpkin seeds (a MUST if you ask me) and a squirt of lime juice and you my friend will be in TACO heaven!
The other thing that I love about these tacos, besides that I have an excuse to eat tacos for breakfast that is, is that the filling also makes a great side for lunch or dinner. I love making recipes that are versatile and can be used for many meals. It makes meal planning more fun and easier! Whether you’re a meat eater or not, you’ll love these vegan quinoa breakfast tacos! They make an easy and filling breakfast to keep you full until lunch time!
Vegan Quinoa Breakfast Tacos
- 1 cup quinoa (rinsed)
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 2 cups cooked black beans (canned, rinsed and drained)
- 3 cups red potato (about 3/4 lb, small dice)
- 1 tbsp neutral tasting oil (avocado, olive, canola, etc.)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 avocado (diced)
- 1/2 cup salsa of choice
- 1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
- sliced bell pepper (for serving (optional))
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds (toasted)
- 1 lime (cut into wedges, for serving)
- corn tortillas (gluten-free, for serving)
- In a small pot over medium-high heat, combine quinoa and broth or water. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and cover with a lid. Continue cooking for 15-20 minutes, until the quinoa is cooked through and the liquid is absorbed. Set aside.
- In the meantime, heat oil in a large skillet. Add diced potatoes and cook for 10-15 minutes, until potatoes are lightly browned and tender, making sure to stir so they don't burn. Once cooked through, add quinoa and black beans and stir to combine.
- Then, add the spices and stir. Let cook an additional 3-5 minutes to get the flavors to meld together and heat up the beans.
- To assemble, heat corn tortillas in a skillet for a few minutes to firm up.
- Then spoon the filling into the corn tortillas, top with diced avocado, salsa, cilantro, pumpkin seeds and a squirt of fresh lime juice.