Alright, alright. It’s December. It snowed today and I wore sensible shoes so I wouldn’t fall right on my butt again like I did the last time it snowed in November. So we can officially call today a win. We can also call it a win because these vegan peppermint chocolate truffles are AMAZING! Per usual, they’re also gluten-free which means they’re the perfect treat to bring along for the holidays!
To make these babies vegan, I subbed in coconut cream for traditional heavy cream to make the ganache. Just a touch of peppermint oil gives these truffles the perfect wintery flavor. Once the ganache has firmed up, we roll the truffles into balls and then give them a dip in melted chocolate and sprinkle with some candy canes for added crunch and garnish!
It’s easy peasy! Of course, to make this dessert gluten-free and vegan, you’ll need to make sure that the chocolate you’re using does not contain gluten or dairy, as with your candy canes. I like using Guittard extra dark chocolate and Spangler candy canes.
I think candy canes are actually all pretty much vegan, but Spangler candy canes are free from the top 8 allergens and are made on dedicated equipment! So they’re always my go-to brand.
If you’ve made some of my other vegan truffle recipes, then I think you’ll absolutely love these vegan peppermint chocolate truffles. The hard chocolate coating just takes the truffles to a whole new level.
As soon as you bite through the hard exterior you get a luscious, creamy filling. Seriously, what more could you want? Oh, maybe some peppermint flavor and candy canes?
Okay, those help with the deliciousness, too! I will definitely be bringing these vegan peppermint chocolate truffles to ALL of my holiday parties this year! They’re a crowd pleaser FOR SURE!
Try these other Gluten Free Holiday Treats
- Gluten-Free Peppermint Hot Chocolate Cookies
- Gluten-Free Cranberry Pistachio Icebox Cookies
- Gluten-Free White Chocolate Peppermint Icebox Cookies
- Pomegranate and Pistachio Chocolate Bark
- Chocolate Cookie Dough Cups
More Chocolate Truffle Recipes
- Vegan Earl Grey Chocolate Truffles
- Easy Vegan Chocolate Truffles
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Truffles
- Gluten Free Oreo Cheesecake Truffles
- Chocolate Coconut Balls
- Cookie Dough Truffles
- Peanut Butter Pretzel Truffles
- Bourbon Bacon Truffles
Vegan Peppermint Chocolate Truffles
- 1 cup (8 oz) full fat coconut milk
- 1 1/3 cups (8 oz) dairy-free dark chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 1/2 cups dairy-free dark chocolate chips
- 4 candy canes (crushed/chopped)
- In a small saucepan, heat coconut milk just until it's about to boil. Remove from heat and stir in the peppermint extract.
- Pour coconut milk over the chocolate in a medium bowl.
- Let sit for 20-30 seconds.
- Using a whisk, whisk from the center to the outside (this helps to not splash the coconut milk everywhere), until the mixture becomes a creamy chocolate.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Take a tablespoon or cookie scoop and scoop out some of the hardened ganache.
- Quickly roll the chocolate into a ball (the heat from your hands will start to melt the chocolate so move fast.
- Set on parchment paper. And refrigerate for 15-20 minutes.
- Melt 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips in a glass bowl in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between, until completely melted.
- Dip the truffles in the melted chocolate, tapping off any excess chocolate. Place on the parchment paper and immediately top with crushed candy canes.
- Let set in the refrigerator until ready to serve.