I don’t know about you all but I am not ready for summer to end. Sure, by the time September rolls around I’m always itching to bake something with pumpkin, But, right now, I’m savoring every last bit of summer! This past weekend, I made the most of a beautiful weekend by attending some free yoga at the Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago. I hadn’t practiced yoga in quite some time, but the views were stunning and the class was perfect in the outdoors. Then, I perused the Green City Farmer’s Market with BreAnna of Crafty Coin.
If you don’t attend farmer’s markets during the summer, you most definitely should. There are a ton here in Chicago and I’m sure you can find some in your area too! I love walking around, seeing what fruits and vegetables are in season, and getting to know the people that make our food. This past visit, I grabbed some fresh flowers and these beautiful ripe peaches.
If you didn’t already know, August is national peach month. So what better what to celebrate than to cook with peaches! After my farmer’s market haul I took to Instagram to ask my friends for ideas of what to make with my new peaches. The ideas were abundant and great: peach muffins, baked peaches, sliced peaches on toast, and PEACH ICE CREAM. As soon as I saw this suggestion, I knew exactly what I was making. A vegan and refined sugar-free version of peach ice cream.
This ice cream is luscious and creamy, you wouldn’t really know there is actually no cream in the recipe. The base is a combination of coconut milk, to give it is creaminess, and almond milk, to help keep the coconut flavor subtle. The ice cream is sweetened with the peaches themselves and some dates. You could always add more sweetener to suit your tastes, but I like it slightly sweet, to really let the peaches shine through. I absolutely adored this vegan peach ice cream. So much that I couldn’t stop eating it before I put it in the freezer to chill completely. I can’t wait to try it on top of some warm blueberry crisp (or just with a spoon straight out of the container). But we’ll keep that as our little secret.
Vegan Peach Ice Cream
This vegan peach ice cream is super creamy without any of the dairy! Fresh peaches are used in this recipe to get the most delicious flavor. Gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan.
- 2 cups canned coconut milk
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 medium peaches about 2 cups diced
- 1/2 cup dates soaked in boiling water for 10 minutes and drained
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp vodka optional - keeps ice cream from getting rock hard
- pinch of salt
- 2 medium peaches diced (optional - to layer in after churning)
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine coconut milk, almond milk, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt and vanilla. Whisk occasionally for about 5 minutes. Transfer to a food processor or high powered blender. Add 2 cups of peaches, lemon juice and vodka. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Add to an ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to a freezer safe container. Fold in (optional) diced peaches if using. Freeze at least 4 hours.
- Allow to soften slightly on the counter before serving.